Detonation!!!!!!!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jcv440

#1 Post by jcv440 »

THe location sounds like either the sight window glass or the check bolt. You must have overfilled the tranny to cause this. It would take alot of pressure to push either one of those out. Or, the bolt/window wasn't properly installed.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Did the case or the side cover have the hole in it?The site glass is in the sidecover.If I remember right there is a locating pin in the area you are talking about when cover was put on it could have been off and cracked.If its just the sidecover it shouldnt really be that big of a problem unless there was a lot of contamination.When they have it apart make sure to get the stud update right away.TB02-011 is the bulletin.Overfilling would blow oil out the vent unless it was plugged otherwise it probably would go through the cam seals or shifter seals that definetly is not your problem.

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

Thanks for the update, keep us posted on the issue.

There is a Crankcase stub update kit from Cannondale that came out on 10/28. It's not a recall, just an update

I dont know that a replacement motor is of the question for a known issue like this, obviously not abuse on your part.

The technical bulletin is on the CDALE website

Good luck

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Personally If I were given a choice between a new motor and a old one with new parts that a good dealer/mechanic went through with a fine tooth comb I definitly would pick the old.The mechanic can take his time to do it right.Wiring some of the bolts or using those fold over washers wouldnt be a bad idea either along with the update.From what I am hearing and seeing it looks like it might not be a tight or loose issue.Supposedly the crank plate is under alot of stress and might flex a little loosening those bolts.Some shops even reinforce the plate.The stud update allows you to tourque the thing tighter much stronger than bolts.I still would like to see some type of retainer on these nuts and bolts.Any ideas?

Big Winky

#5 Post by Big Winky »

we had the very same thing happen to our moto, as we are factory trained on it we did the work ourselves. was glad we did. found out to keep up on ALL the updates...stud update can save your motor.