Cylinder head options

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
J. Delaney

Cylinder head options

#1 Post by J. Delaney »

Hey Dustin, I noticed on your website that you now have 3 different cyl head porting options. Could you break it down for us? Will the $1500 head job really give me an additional 18hp? Or will it only produce that much power when paired with larger displacment and higher compression?

southbaymoto

#2 Post by southbaymoto »

Our performance head mods are all with exchange. We do not suggest that you use the OEM piston kit on the monster or the dune killer, as it will severely limit your performance. However these are do it your self-solutions and offered to give our customers options on how they want their engines to perform. The Stages are as follows:

Stage 1: Perpetual flow port and polish, custom map ver 1.2, reengineered oil passages for better lubrication to the valve train and a 5 angle valve job retaining the stock valves.

Stage 2: Perpetual flow port and polish, custom map ver 1.3, reangled injector bungs, reengineered oil passages for better lubrication to the valve train and a 5 angle valve job retaining the stock valves.

Monster: Perpetual flow port and polish, custom map ver 1.4, reangled injector bungs, reengineered oil passages for better lubrication to the valve train, a 5 angle valve job, ti-valves and beryllium alloy valve seats.

New...Dune Killer: Perpetual flow port and polish, custom map ver 1.5 reangled injector bungs designed to seat high flow injectors (included) with a tighter spray pattern for ultimate performance, reengineered oil passages for better lubrication to the valve train and a 5 angle valve job, ti-valves and beryllium alloy valve seats.

We also offer our custom billet piston kits to compliment the above headwork. They kits are complete solutions including the piston, cast sleeve, gapless ring set, light weight tapered wristpin, clips and come in 450 and 460. These kits have been balanced to the new style crank to prevent the known balance issues associated with the OEM piston kits. You may find these on our web address www.southbaymoto.com.

Dustin

EuroGOD

#3 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by southbaymoto
These kits have been balanced to the new style crank to prevent the known balance issues associated with the OEM piston kits.
Dustin

HUH? Which came unbalanced first, the piston or the crank...

J. Delaney

#4 Post by J. Delaney »

How much performance gain can be realized when switching from steel valves to ti? Also, what is the expected service life of the ti valves?

southbaymoto

#5 Post by southbaymoto »

It??????????????????s really more of a dependability thing. Though they do offer less reciprocating weight and there is a performance gain. When you increase power and stress to an engine you always want to take measures to increase dependability. In any case reduced reciprocating weight will increase performance.

The Yamaha 450 engine is by nature more powerful than a stock Cannondale. Yamaha places ti-valves in their engine right from the factory. I would be correct saying that they will not increase their unit cost unless they feel it necessary.

The formula is simple: dependability + performance = 1 reliable fast motorcycle. If you change the formula it could cost you time in the shop and money out of your pocket in addition to lost riding time.

I once had a race team suck a metal piece of rod through the intake on one of our kits that had ti-valves. The valves chewed up the object and kept running. After one whole race he noticed a noise in the engine. While they were trying to diagnose the issue the engine stopped running. Upon sending the engine back for repair we found the problem and the reason the bike stalled. The object hit the spark plug and closed the gap. In my opinion any engine that would run with a foreign object in the combustion chamber is pretty tough.

We do many of our mods. because the engine demands it to be reliable and worry free. With all of our performance kits you will find that we always build them around our core dependability kit the DE1. There are other organizations out there that try to offer a dependability kit as well. However we are the pioneers of dependability and performance for the Cannondale and in our opinion none of these organizations do it to the extent that we do. They may offer something that is similar but I can assure you that is nothing like our kit.

Many shops increase power and do not increase dependability. This is less expensive and much less labor intensive. This allows some folks to offer their solutions for a more manageable price. We just have a different way of doing things. I have personally race tested every kit and product we offer. If I can??????????????????t make it fail the odds are that the average rider will not have a problem. I have spent many hours in the saddle of a Cannondale and we have pretty much seen it all. It has taken years to develop these enhancements and to test them. We now can deliver this performance and reliability to our customers.

Dustin

J. Delaney

#6 Post by J. Delaney »

I appreciate the response, but isn't the service life of a ti valve much shorter than a steel valve? That is what I have always heard. I would much rather have a valve job done every 3-5 years rather than every year.

J. Delaney

#7 Post by J. Delaney »

Oh, I don't know if you remember me, but I spoke to you a while back about my Cannibal lacking top end power. The cam timing was off one tooth. Ever see that?