Interview with Trinity

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
LapTraffic

Interview with Trinity

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

There's been a lot of discussion lately on the the Trinty pipe / map and the Trinity port and polish.

How does it compare to an HMF full system? what kind of power increase can you expect? etc.

Because the answers seemed to be so diverse on this board I decided to give Trinity a call and talk to their president to get some answers from the source.

I called Harry (Pres) and introduced myself as a Cannondale owner with some questions pertaining to the pipe and the port and polish job.

Through the phone call Harry proved to be extremely knowledgeable in a no BS fashion.

The following are the questions (bold) I asked with Harry's reply (Italics). We talked for about 25 minutes.

What could I expect as a horse power gain on a stock cannibal.

We see a gain 4-5 horsepower with our pipe and map

How does this compare to the HMF full system?

actually we went to riders who already had the HMF system and asked them to try our pipe. Every rider we tested liked the feel of our pipe better, we offer a 30 day return policy and have yet to receive a pipe back, and many of these are from former HMF owners. Our focus for this pipe was on the low end grunt which we feel the Cannondale lacks. We set up a bike for Jeremy and he took the holeshot with setup

**Note, I dont know who Jeremy is, nor do I know who he was racing, I didnt want to sound like a complete idiot by asking Harry, so I left it that smile.gif

What's special about the trinity map?

We built our own map, What make's it special is that we are running a new Dyno. We replaced our Dynojet with a superflow. The superflow allows us to do so much more Note: we talked about Dynos for a very long time, Im not going to go into a ton of detail with that part of the conversation, suffice it to say that the Superflow dyno rocks because we can tune the bike on a superflow live, while its running, we can see instant results to our changes that we are making to the map, this allows us to tweak the rpm range in increments and really fine tune the map to get the most out of it

What about the port and polish?

Well, the port and polish on the Cannondale is interesting. That engine is in really nice shape in stock form, we initially did the port and polish because we saw a few people try and actually make the engine run worse, so we wanted to see what we could do. We managed to get more out of the engine. However, there is not a lot more to wring out, we got 1-2 horses out of the engine and I have to be honest with you, unless you are extremely competetive I dont know that the Port & polish is worth the effort and expense. If the engine is on the ground for some other reason and it needs to be cracked into, then yeah, it's doable, but to drop it in good shape strictly for this procedure is questionable.

What about Dyno readings on your work, what are you getting to the rear wheels?

On our speed, the one Jeremy rode we got 52hp. That was with pipe and map, port&polish and A LOT of tuning, we really went over that bike, and like I said, he hole shot everyone. Now this is an interesting thing. That same bike in the same form that ran a 52hp reading on our Dynojet only read a 47 on our new Superflow. Kindof dissapointing, but I trust the superflow more, the way it calculates HP is far more accurate. Note, again, a lot more talk on Dynos smile.gif But again, Dynos are just numbers, they allow us to tune in shop and get the most out of the bike, If my 47hp goes out and stomps everyone's 52 hp then Im doing it right.

What kind of lead time am I looking at on a pipe right now?

We are currently back ordered 3-4 weeks, we had a little more interest than was initially expected.

I thanked Harry for the time he had spent. A truely nice guy and extremely helpful. I was pretty impressed that he told things like they were and didnt falsely inflate things like the port and polish to sell it to me. Counts for a lot in my book. I'll be ordering a pipe from Trinity in Late January, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Big Winky

#2 Post by Big Winky »

jeremy is jermey shnell, a gnc rider for trinity, he is one of the nicest guys you could meet and dam awful fast too. first met harry 3 years ago at redbud. ( i welded a pipe for their yzf that broke) you'll find he is a professional in every way.

AlaskaSpeed

wow...

#3 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

I am going to talk with Harry Wednesday and see if he will give me a refund....lol. I don't think it's the smartest thing for him to talk down his own port/polish and expect to get people to buy it. Funny how my chat with him was totally opposite on the effects of the port/polish when I talked to him and also Smitty had dyno numbers afterwards with the HMF slip on and Trinity map of over 46hp.....makes ya wonder..JIM

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Jim, you race and are competetive, as Harry stated to me, in that case it's probably worth it for the gain. If I pull my engine for work, it's going to Trinity. Have you got your engine back yet? If so what was your take on the work done and the performance gain?

I did notice A LOT of discrepancy from talking to the shop techs and then in talking to Harry. I talked to Arron who originally said that they weren't doing the port and polish because it wasnt yeilding anything substantial, I said Id heard from a few folks that they were doing them so he went and checked with the guy who does the work and then came back and said "My Bad, we are doing them and getting 5-8 HP out of the work.

What was the last statement you made in regard to the 46 hp? Was that on Harry's dyno?

I'd be curious to see what your impressions fo the work are.

Knight440

#5 Post by Knight440 »

Thanks for the update LAP I am still undecided on what pipe to run :confused: right now i am thinking maybe the Trinity. Do any of you guys know if they ofter a quite core and a spark arestor (SP) smile.gif

LapTraffic

#6 Post by LapTraffic »

I understand that they are quieter than the HMF. Dont know about the spark arrestor though

Im 90 on the Trinity pipe and Map.

Smitty911

Trinity

#7 Post by Smitty911 »

Well being as I have one of the few quads done by Trinity I feel the need to post.

After my motor was redone from a partial sieze, I had them do the Port and Polish and put thier map on it. I run a HMF slip on and I can honestly say that it pulls smoother to redline. The power feels more linear.

I was in the DYNO room when my quad was run and it pulled 46.3 total.

I didn't have it DYNO'd before with just the HMF or just the Speed map so there is no baseline.

At a Glen Helan race, I saw a Trinity z-400 big bore lose the holeshot to a stock motor Cannandale with a Trinity pipe and remap. The Trinity z-400 is a friend of mine. He now dyno's at 48 and change.

In a nutshell this is the same statements made by ALL builders. You need to talk to each of them and get a FEEL and go with who you trust the most. Unless you are at the very top of your game the HP may not be the deciding factor in a race.

Smitty

AlaskaSpeed

#8 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Smitty,
Thanks for the reply. The guy "sponsored" by Southbay Moto is a little to quick to jump to conclusions about how worthless a Trinity port/polish and remap is.
I talked to Harry and like I said, this 350.00 or so is a very good deal for what you get. Mine will be done Friday, so I will start putting the beast together as soon as I get the head; the last of my parts needed should be here by beginning of next week....man I need to ride!
I doubt the extra cost will be worth it once you ride a Southbay 2300.00 job and a 350.00 Trinity job. No way you can convince me that the hp/dollar is close...........JIM

AlaskaSpeed

#9 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Truth is, none of us have actually seen any dyno numbers for a baseline and the only numbers dynoed for Trinity's port/polish, mapping and an HMF slip on put Smitty's quad at 46.3 or thereabouts.
Don't be so quick to cry flame when someone questions your opinion, I was just stating my opinion as well. What we really need to do is dyno both setups and see what we see......JIM

LapTraffic

#10 Post by LapTraffic »

James, there are no flames, I think everyone in here is really interested in what you're getting cooked up, that will be some serious hp gains!

Cant wait till the work is done and you file your official report. How much longer till you get the engine back and all put together?

I dont think we should knock Trinity at all, I know you have loyalty to Southbay as they are your sponsor, but employee knowledge does not invalidate a companies product. it's pretty common for employees to have a less clear picture than the boss. Look at how many bike types they handle. That's why I simply asked to speak to the owner. He made time for me, which he didnt have to, and then spoke very openly an honestly about his services rather than sprucing them up. He even gave the Dyno figgures from the 'lower' dyno reading because he felt it was more accurate. That speaks volumes in my book.

Keep us posted