What does it sound like when you hit the rev limiter?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Mjollnir

What does it sound like when you hit the rev limiter?

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

OK, maybe this is a dumb question. I read a post a while back where someone stated that he found the cam timing out of whack when he did the Stage 8. I remember when I did my Stage 8, I thought my cam timing might be off, but later decided it was OK.

I've always thought that it was just that I'm not that good of a rider was the reason that I get waxed whenever I drag race at Pismo. Seems like my power dies out early. It starts to sputter and loses power somewhere in the upper RPM ranges. Is that the Rev limiter? What does the engine sound like when you hit the rev limiter?

IT's got tons of power down low, but it just seems like if I was on par with the reports I read on here, I should be pulling harder. Now I just read a post from cannibalq8, where he stated that his quad did 85mph stock. There is NO WAY my quad will go nearly that fast.

Am I crazy, or could my cam timing be off? Unfortunately, the marks are not visible in the pictures I took when I did the stage 8. I've been thinking about dismantling the bike to do some polishing on the frame, maybe this is the encouragement I need...

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

When you hit the rev limiter it starts to sputter and pop.

Remember CannibalQ8 has an SBM 450 motor, and is probably running higher gearing so he probably can hit 85. A stock Cannondale should hit mid 70's without too much problem.

EuroGOD

#3 Post by EuroGOD »

..and you can physically feel the limiter hit.

Tell you a simple way of finding out:
Go into your shed just after midnight.
Fire up the quad and warm it to operating temp.
Wring that throttle to the stop! Not for too long, just a few seconds should do.
That'll be the sound of the limiter then smile.gif

Don't worry about damaging anything, from what you've described you've seen the limiter more than once already.

pdavis

#4 Post by pdavis »

euro... i beg to differ, the best time to do that is just after 2AM
thats just to give neiborhood dogs a chance to enjoy it also smile.gif tongue.gif

thomez

#5 Post by thomez »

Not the most accurate method, I know ....

But next to my uncles truck he said I was over 80, completely stock.

Hard to be sure without a radar gun but it is fast! :head:

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Just to let everyone know top speed on a dale at Atco NJ drag strip was 74.5 mph. figured by both time and radar. Not bad on stock gearing. 13/42. I figure with gear changes you might make somewhere in the 76 mph range maybe a little better not much. You will be losing bottom end though.

EuroGOD

#7 Post by EuroGOD »

Who's going to be the brave soul to gear one for the salt and take it to Bonneville?
I'll take a look for the word record top speed and let you guys know which class you'd be up against.
Heck, I'd even offer to pilot the thing! What's one more broken bone between friends?

Jaybr

#8 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by thomez

next to my uncles truck he said I was over 80, completely stock.

:no: I never thought I'd see a post like this over here

TheJaspMan

#9 Post by TheJaspMan »

Is it even good on the engine to twist it out to the limter? I think I am a little too conservative and shift way to soon.

cdsracer

#10 Post by cdsracer »

You gotta rev that thing to the moon to hit the rev limiter. I ride sand and rarely bounce off of the rev limiter. If you're hitting it, you're flyin'! I've never heard a four stroke single rev as high as this thing.