New Speed, got some engine questions.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Dale512

New Speed, got some engine questions.

#1 Post by Dale512 »

I finally got my '03 Speed, now I have some questions.

1.When I start it, should I let it idle for a while?
2.What size is the bolt for the tranny drain?
3.It has a slightly sweet smell coming from the exhaust. Is this normal during break-in?
4.How do u get to the filter in the back of the bike?
5.After Break-in how often should I change my oils?
6.Where is neutral..............it will not go in.

Thanks

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

When you start it let it idle dont touch the gas till you feel the radiator hose get warm.

Tranny Bolt new motors its a 12mm old its 14mm.(on the 12mm its sloppy fit make sure you use 6point boxwrench and antiseize when you put it back in.They are very tight from factory)

Never noticed any sweet smell.This could be coolant burning just to be safe check the plug if it is clean like it was washed and coolant level has gone down could be bad head gasket.(there is all kinds of oils and such on a new quad this is probably what you are smelling this is normal)

That filter is very hard.I get the hose of the engine side and use a deepwell socket on a swivel with extension I think its a 14mm.I never have found anything in this filter and have quit looking on my quad.I replace the crimp clamp with a hose clamp.

I change oil every three tanks of gas.

If you cant find neutral try adjusting clutch lever out.If that doesnt work clutch needs to be adjusted.Have your dealer do this.

AlaskaSpeed

#3 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Welcome!.....I find that it is much easier getting to that rear oli filter once you remove the motor....LOL

MotoRacer

#4 Post by MotoRacer »

alaska..how hard is it to get the motor out? How long of a process? thanks.

Moto

Big Winky

#5 Post by Big Winky »

Motoracer, it's really alot of fun pulling the motor, but it's more fun puttin it back in. 1st time it took us 12 hours out and back in. After doing a few, we have the time down to around 5 hrs. be very careful with the radiator, the fins are easily damaged. and label everything. you'll also need a 8mm, 12 point socket, 1/4" drive to remove exhaust. ( we got a 5/16 deepwell from sears,it works) instant camera will work wonders for harness routeing. neutral is much easier to fine while your still rolling, it gets better as it breaks in.

Dale512

Sweet Smell

#6 Post by Dale512 »

I only spelled it for about 5 seconds, and then it was gone. How am I supposed to get the Tranny Drain Bolt out, its too small for a 12mm wrench.

Also the only way for me to find neutral is too turn the quad off and shift with my hand......without the clutch.

Is this normal?

Thanks

autox7

#7 Post by autox7 »

Neutral will be easier to find the longer you have the quad. Like the suspension, the clutch takes a little while to break itself in. I could not find neutral for the longest time either, but now it is not a problem, and I have had mine since June.

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

I can find Neutral, where the heck is reverse??

Ok, that was lame.

I have the same issues with the neutral, having to get with my hand while running. I wonder if it could be a product of the type of oil used in the tranny? I know I had no problem during break in with break in lube they had in it, once I changed oils to synthetic I had troubles.

Just a guess.

autox7

#9 Post by autox7 »

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic tranny oil. And while it's not the easiest thing in the world, I can get into neutral while I am still coming to a stop. Maybe I am just lucky.

Dale041

#10 Post by Dale041 »

james, lets see some pics of that bad boy.