any one use big winkey crank?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
DangerRanger

#31 Post by DangerRanger »

wow, three in a row.....cdaler's and riders will be responsible for anything the happens from here, I think alot of good things are being worked on, and some are already rolling.

Derno24

#32 Post by Derno24 »

Heck I know a guy around me that has an original fx400 with red plastic and is still going strong with well over 300 hours most of them racing. Trust me he is fast enough to do some damage.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

I am on the third motor in my quad which was a FX400 with red plastic.Original motor blew a bit of oil into airbox and Cannondale offered to replace it so I did it had one full season at that point.
Second motor cracked at motor mount after almost one season they replaced that also.
The motor I have now which was built in dec 03 I believe.Was absolutly trouble free for the whole year and when I took it apart to mod it the lower timing chain guide mount was broken and timing chain was rubbing on sidecover and the piston liner had a wear spot on exhaust side where it slides into case and slight wear from piston itself in same spot.Other than that it was perfect in every way.Would it have made another season?No definitly not.Why?Because you cannot trust any motor built by Cannondale.There is no room for error in these motors.That hanging Timing chain guide would have at least chewed up my cover if I ran another year.
These aint 400exs!Everyone thinks nothing of having to rebuild a 2st within 3months of buying it.Well people need to get the idea out of their head that these new 4strokes are very much better.None of them are especially when modified.Only difference between the YFZ,CRF and cannondale is the Cannondale is a major pain to work on.They all have problems and big ones.
All I can do is do the work myself that I can and go with who I trust the most for the rest without any expectations except honesty.Winkys crank,headwork and Haydugs and Winkys piston kit has met ALL my expectations.

cannibalq8

#34 Post by cannibalq8 »

so do u think the problem is somthing wrong with the design of our engine ?..

just i wanna mention somthing guys ... my dealer here sell 3 quads ..2 2002 cannibals and 1 2003 speed ...

first cannibal is me. my quad still alive for 3 months ( with no 1 single problem ) i remeber i drove it very very hard and i still 3 months with changing oil until its died suddenly while running ( i remeber one of the bolts is drop down and the cam chain is cut i guess .. after changing them the quad refuse to fired.. after that my dealer rebuild the engine completly .. i belive my engine still 100 hrs

second cannibal. my friend cannibal ... he used the quad like a guy in stone age ... DRIVE IT HARD , WHILEEE FOR VERY LONG DISTANCE , EVEN HE RIDE IT FROM HIS HOME TO HIS CHALET ( ABOUT 45 Mile ) ... over 1 driving - non stop, making stunts moves on it , drive it in rain .. in another sentence is F*CKED THE QUAD SO HARD. all this and he didnt change the oil ... the quad also still 3 months with him .. and my dealer just replace all hole the engine ( took off the engine from new quad ). still more that 150 hrs.

as my dealer said both the 02 cannibals have siezed crank

third quad .. the speed .. its 2003 also ... he totally f*cked up the quad but until now the engine didnt blow .. he face some external problem only.

as i see guys our quads here still more that many many quad in U.S ( too many low hrs died in U.S ).

as i know our quad actully come from european ( as our VIN's and scooter from optimum told me ) not from U.S. i remeber when i talked to Justin Hall by phone he told me that the european cannondales is littel bit diffrent even in map.

i dunno if there is diffrent in specifications in our quads .. but as i can see our performance here in better than the quads is u.s .. i remeber too many members surprised when i told them that my quad run 85 mph with stock engine,tires,map and gearing and also that i raced some CR'S and YZ's here.

i belive there should a soluations for those common issues suck as crank and other things.

Yo guys ..why we dont call the engine desiger ( his name is Henki i guess ) and told him to help us .. i remeber justin said that Dinli talked with him many time.

Big Winky

#35 Post by Big Winky »

Actually guys, "WE" see about 1 in 20 good ones sent to us. Now there were 6000 motors built, a few have been destroyed, a few have been used for parts, a few have been rebuilt, that leaves alot of motors that have kept on running with no crank issues at all. I personally know of a guy that has at least a 1000 hours on his "02 c-dale and it has never had ANY motor repairs of any kind done to it, and he changes his oil approx every 25-40 hours. Ride the thing and enjoy the quad before you get too old to, don't worry about what "MIGHT" happen, ****, my truck motor "might" poop a crank today, but I'm not going to walk to town because of something that "might" happen. I personally ride the crap out of C-dales..... and don't baby them one bit. If a problem pops up, I fix it, just like a honda or Yamaha.

DangerRanger

#36 Post by DangerRanger »

Exactly!!!:clap:

Ryanstones

"guys...go #$%*ing ride!"

#37 Post by Ryanstones »

That's easy for you guys to say! I think the original question is valid and needs answering! Most 'dale owners don't work in Race shops or dealerships and don't have the ability, or $$, to tear down and repair a blown 'dale motor. The reliability of a SBM, WWE, Diamond motor is a very real concern with the amount of $$$ they cost, and if they are only good for a season then maybe a new Yamahonda is a better place for some to put there money! It sounds like Ben and Winky are saying shut up and send your money! No disrespect is intended, i appreciate what you both have done for the Cannondale.

I think alot of owners are trying to figure out how far they want to go with the cannon, and shut up and ride isn't good enough.

Ben, i'm glad you and your "in the loop" friends are amused by us regular consumers. We must be pretty funny 'cause there are always more guests/lurkers here than members. Maybe you could clue us in to where you guys post your wisdom, without so many 'stupid' questions and observations. Maybe if the wise ones would post a little more, there wouldn't be so many doubts about the 'dales and values would come back up!

Cannondale27 has put the situation in good perspective, Thanks Steve. Nobody is looking for an ironclad guarantee of lifetime reliability, but it would be nice to hear others experiences with rebuilt motors.

I'm in for as long as I can keep her going.
I love my cannon. smile.gif

cannondale27

#38 Post by cannondale27 »

I have 6hrs of trouble free riding on the motor right now.After first hour drained oil and inspected filter.Absolutly not one metal particle in the oil or filter(paper).Put filter back in and filled it up with oil.Rode for about 5 hrs muddy wet high load conditions.Removed filter and cut the thing open.Nothing bad in there at all.
Performance wise I cant say since I am waiting on Thomez's pipe.The motor is smooth and idles really nice.I am sick of waiting so the 02headpipe and Big Gun are going on and I promise to thrash it really good this weekend.When Thomez comes through it will be on dyno for proper tuning and then first race is a Oval 1/3mi wide open Oval.When all that is done if it is still running I will be totally confident in the work done.And at end of season will do a valve check and a quick look into the sidecover.If all is well I wont touch it.Two years without touching any race motor is dang good and based on what I saw after one year it is entirely possible.That is the plan at least.

DangerRanger

#39 Post by DangerRanger »

Ryan...you missed the point entirely. Their is no way of knowing if anything is going to gurantee the reliabilty, just as rolling a new yamahonda off the showroom doesn't gurantee it is the bulletproof one, how many issues are they having....tons too.

their are no "In the loops" it is everyone you guys all talk too, and if it is running and you do some basic checks, then ride it.

If you want to know my philosophy for all owners...whether it is great or not, but has worked for countless others and customers at the former Lewis Cannondale.

CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE

DangerRanger

#40 Post by DangerRanger »

Pull the motor, loctite all the bolts, look for anything loose, put her back together (cost, bottle of loctite) washers under battery tray, couple pieces of vent line for oil update, keep the fluids changed, and run her. I know of almost 100 that were done just this way and nothing else, they all have 50+ hours or MORE with only an occasional hiccup, loose ground, water in connectors(do dielectric grease), forgetting to check bolts every once in a while, etc, same thing that ANY bike or quad would have.

I personally did not want the full Wink treatment, not that I am not 150% impressed, just simply for the fact that I have a zero problems with the above personally and with others, and preferred to keep it that way. Winky saw it differently, and at this point I am even more impressed with the dale, I know the reliabilty in my opionion is the same and in opinion improved considerably, but it did smooth out the motor, idle better, run harder, throttle response is phenominal...if I had it to do all over again I would, but if spending any $$ at all was a thought, I would simply buy a stock machine, make a few simple mods...very cheap, and run the piss out of it like before.

You are missing my main point, we are but a narrow scope here of over 5000 known units.....do you ever see more than 100 members talking about the same issue, not to my recolection.