Spitting sputtering and cutting off completely

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bgent

Spitting sputtering and cutting off completely

#1 Post by bgent »

Ok guy's , bike fires up fine idles great and low rpm its ok . As soon as I get on it hard it goes to **** , back firing and spitting , shooting flames out the pipe and about half the time it just dies on me,everyonce in awhile its ok but very rarely and it doesnt last long , I have changed the plug , checked the fuel lines and fittings going into the tank and changed the fuel filter all with no improvement !!! PLEASE HELP B4 I SHOOT THIS THING !!!!! :mad:

EuroGOD

#2 Post by EuroGOD »

Please don't shoot the dale :eek:

From what you've described, I'd say that your battery (or connections) is letting you down...
How many volts is it throwing out?
Do you have star washers under the terminal bolts?
Is the ground to the frame (RHS front) tight?

If you've answered yes to the above, then we can go further....
That's what I'd be checking first, flywheel, pickup and stator would follow next.

bgent

#3 Post by bgent »

Brand new battery , dont have any washer that I remember being on the terminal + or - side , I began thinking the ign or battery the other night so I did check the terminals and the ground was loose but after I tightened up it still does it ... Any other grounds I can check for ?

Mjollnir

#4 Post by Mjollnir »

Take the battery cable end that was loose completely off, hit the contact parts with a wire brush, and reinstall with star washers.

You said you checked all the fuel lines - it sounds like a fuel problem to me. When you changed the plug, did it look fouled at all?

thomez

#5 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by EuroGOD
Please don't shoot the dale :eek:  

I've looked at this topic 3 times now and I roll every time I see that .... :drink: biggrin.gif

speed2424

Dale Season

#6 Post by speed2424 »

Don't shoot your dale , it is NOT in season!!smile.gif

bgent

#7 Post by bgent »

Went over all battery connections cleaned and tightened all the leads coming off the battery and now she's great , not sure which one it was but it seems ok for now . Just annoyed that I didnt start there and changed 3 plugs and a fuel filter first . Anyway thanks for the help evryone

EuroGOD

#8 Post by EuroGOD »

Yup, that can happen sometimes...
As always, don't hesitate to ask any questions no matter how trivial they may be.
We can only stick together on this.

bgent: Are you making it to the Spring Ride?

cdrookie

#9 Post by cdrookie »

let us know if the battery cleaning is working. we spent a few hours messing with derno's bike last night. sometimes it'd spit and sputter and backfire, sometimes it wouldn't. derno told me something crazy that helped it. i called him names and said it was the stupidest thing i've ever heard of. but he showed me and i was like WTF?

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Tell me about it I felt like an Azz for even trying it. I am not posting it till you try some other stuff as this test will tell you that you need a new ecu.