Stalling on a Small Hill

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fred

Stalling on a Small Hill

#1 Post by fred »

A new 03 Blaze owner here. I got the chance to ride/race (XC) it for the first time yesterday. On two separate occasions, it stalled on my while on small (<20 ft) not very steep climbs. I was in 2nd or 3rd gear and on the gas when it stalled. It re-fired and ran fine after both times. I spoke to the previous owner (a good friend)and he does not recall ever having a similar problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what I should look for to try to prevent it from happening in the future.

The only thing that I can think of so far is I had oiled the air filter (my first time) before the race. I know that there can be some problems if I over oiled it. Could this have been my problem?

Other than that, the quad ran great and I was very happy with it.

Any input would be appreciated.

pdavis

#2 Post by pdavis »

I have never heard of this problem before, i have had oil spit through the breather, but never had a hill stalling problem,
:confused:

TheJaspMan

Re: Stalling on a Small Hill

#3 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by fred
A new 03 Blaze owner here. I got the chance to ride/race (XC) it for the first time yesterday. On two separate occasions, it stalled on my while on small (<20 ft) not very steep climbs. I was in 2nd or 3rd gear and on the gas when it stalled. It re-fired and ran fine after both times. I spoke to the previous owner (a good friend)and he does not recall ever having a similar problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what I should look for to try to prevent it from happening in the future.

The only thing that I can think of so far is I had oiled the air filter (my first time) before the race. I know that there can be some problems if I over oiled it. Could this have been my problem?

Other than that, the quad ran great and I was very happy with it.

Any input would be appreciated.

I know it sounds silly. But mine was doing the same thing. I was nudging the kill switch into the off position. It made me mad enough I took it off and always use the key now.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Kill switch makes sense.I did that too!Also check to makesure battery connections are all tight and that the battery isnt wiggling in the box.If it is remove batt add some pieces of 1/4 tubing to bottom of box and put batt back in.

garysol1

#5 Post by garysol1 »

i just swapped the Start Button and the on-off switch locations.No more problems

TheJaspMan

#6 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by garysol1
i just swapped the Start Button and the on-off switch locations.No more problems

I was gonna do that. But I ended up taking it all the way off. I mounted my key into the headlight bezzle. It also helps me remember to always turn the key off.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

You may also want to look at chain tension too. it is important for these quads to have the chain adjusted properly. Too much slack can cause stalling.

TheJaspMan

#8 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by Derno24
You may also want to look at chain tension too.  it is important for these quads to have the chain adjusted properly.  Too much slack can cause stalling.

I didn't know that.

I just checked mine the other day. Mine always sounds loose. But I think it's just the way Cdale runs over the swingarm.

fred

#9 Post by fred »

Thanks for the info. I'll double check the battery connections and chain tension. I'll also see if I can cause it to stall by bumping the kill switch.

TheJaspMan

#10 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by fred
Thanks for the info. I'll double check the battery connections and chain tension. I'll also see if I can cause it to stall by bumping the kill switch.

You would probably already have noticed that. The side of my hand used to rub on it. I always wondered why some grips had tall rubber sides.... :eek: