Engine just locked.....HELP!!!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
EuroGOD

Engine just locked.....HELP!!!!

#1 Post by EuroGOD »

Now we have seen quite a few threads starting with this line and I'm going to post some pics of just what can happen when things go terribly wrong.

This quad is a late '02 Speed with fairly low hours and NONE of the updates.

EuroGOD

#2 Post by EuroGOD »

One of the cartridge plate bolts came loose and somehow worked it's way into the clutch basket. It then rattled around, smashing some fibre plates until it worked it's way out and locked the engine...

EuroGOD

#3 Post by EuroGOD »

Just pulling the sidecover was an eyeopener! With bits of fibre all over, stripped scavange pump gears and a smashed timing chain guide...
Stage8 anyone?

EuroGOD

#4 Post by EuroGOD »

Now I don't know why, but this also happened at the same time...

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

That's ugly!! Was this on yours or someone else's? This is definitely the reason we all preach about addressing those bolts!!

EuroGOD

#6 Post by EuroGOD »

I'll just add that this isn't one of my quads and, as usual, the owner didn't seek any information until it was too late.
Preventative maintenance may cost a little now but it saves a lot later.

For a list of updates, see the Dale Tech section above. Some of them are even free!

thunderwolf

#7 Post by thunderwolf »

Ouch!!sad.gif

Jumbo747

#8 Post by Jumbo747 »

is the factory cannondale update bolts just as good as the stage 8 if you use the right loctite & everything? sad.gif

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

..That flywheel is cracked cuzz of an unblanced crank...mine wasnt as bad as that one but it was cracked.......

EuroGOD

#10 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by Jumbo747
is the factory cannondale update bolts just as good as the stage 8 if you use the right loctite & everything? sad.gif

Yes and no!
Yes, loctite (when applied correctly) will hold your engine together but the Stage8 goes that little bit further...