COLD WEATHER STARTING--Or not.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Mjnova

More info.

#11 Post by Mjnova »

I belive I have now figured out how to start my bike in cold weather. 1. My quad will start every time and not waste a plug if the idle screw is all the way in or very close. I like the idle high but the bike will not consistantly start in that postion. Also I only crank it for about 2 seconds max at a time until it runs. It usually coughs on two attempts and then starts and runs fine. This is what works on mine.

mountainman10

#12 Post by mountainman10 »

You have to watch the idle, I set mine down a little bit and my battery went out in about a week. Cannondale says that if it is not set right it will not charge the battery and it will go bad. You need to check and make sure it is not set too low. I think it runs a little fast, but they said that is where it has to be.

Mjnova

#13 Post by Mjnova »

I understand... I now have the software so I can see what it is doing. Mine will charge the battery at anywhere over 1550 rpms--13.5 volts. I have been starting it with the idle turned back and then adjusting it up as it warms and the IAC closes.

mountainman10

#14 Post by mountainman10 »

That sounds like a little bit of a hassle to me. I would take it in to the dealer and see if they can find the root of the problem.

Mjnova

#15 Post by Mjnova »

I keep my idle higher then most, I think if I kept it around 1900-2000 it would more than likely start also. I find I like it around 2400-2500 for racing.

candyassmiler

#16 Post by candyassmiler »

this may sound ignorant, but when mine wont start after the first couple of cranks, i pull the quick disconnect on the fuel tank. this keeps the bike from pumping anymore gas and it will start everytime, but of course i have to reconnect. sounds silly but it works. its kinda like priming the carburetor on my nova.

LapTraffic

#17 Post by LapTraffic »

my reply may sound even more ignorant.

You're starving the the cylinder of fuel?

Wont this hurt the fuel pump?

What about the amount of fuel from the quick disconnec ton down, There's quite a bit there, would take reunning for a few seconds to burn through all that.

I reserve the right to have completely misunderstood you smile.gif

candyassmiler

#18 Post by candyassmiler »

lap, what you said about starving it would make sense, but there is so much already in the line that it could run a while on just that. that actually happened once when we went on a ride and i couldnt figure out what was wrong so i took it home and got the warrior. then i noticed later. but back to what i was saying, being disconnected, the pump cant pump anymore up. it seems to help, but what do i know, im only 18.