Crankshaft Failures

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Big Winky

Crankshaft Failures

#1 Post by Big Winky »

This is Lil winkey.

Resently wer have heard of our crankshafts failing.

Though we us the most quality parts that we can lay our hands on its seems that the problem with the crankshaft lies deeper then just weak parts.

We have discovered that the cannondale engine has a very poor system for lubercating the crankshaft bearings. My father is in Califorina on his vaction meeting with Wade Wilcox to find a anwser to this problem.

Untill we can solve this problem we are not going to supply any crankshafts.

We are going to do our best to help the people that are currently having problems. As soon as we have a fix to the problem we will let everyone that we can know.

If you have any questions please call

Sincerly

John Winkelbauer

iceracer17

#2 Post by iceracer17 »

I agree with the oiling system,why else would they be eating cranks and cams?:confused:

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

But if the oiling is that bad why did the stockers last so much longer than the Winky cranks, on average? Some are going with only a few hours on them, it was VERY rare for a stock one to go that fast.

josborn

#4 Post by josborn »

This is really starting to suck. I think mine might be for sale, I haven't even started it yet.

atvrulz

#5 Post by atvrulz »

With the cannondales you just dont know what your going to get.
There is this guy, who races mx every sunday in the summer for the last two years, up here in minnesota. He might change his oil once every couple of months, as well as clean his air filter. He beats the pi$$ out of his quad. He does not have the stage 8 update, no long bolt to attach the front of engine to engine cradle, no engine oil breather line update. Also, last year his transmission oil filter got sucked into the engine (make sure you screw that bolt in by hand). Instead of taking engine apart, he just dumped Diesel fuel into the engine to clean out all of the debris from the filter out. I am sure he still has debris from his filter inside his engine.
He has NEVER had any trouble with his quad.
Then there is all these people, that change both the engine oil, transmission oil, clean their air filter once a week. They have the stage eight update as well as all the updates, and then a month of riding and then either their crank goes out, or one of the million other things that go wrong with the dales.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Good point Thomez.Every single crank I have seen including the old 02 style had the sideclearance right at the top or abit over the specs.I have no doubt that this caused a oil pressure loss and probably leads to cam failure.Could it be they were done like this for a reason?Maybe by fixing one problem another was caused.I wish Winky luck in finding out the oiling secrets Wade has.I hope this can be solved since I know Wink has very good intensions.We have to give him credit for grabbing this monster by the tail.I dont think you will find anyone who didnt think they were doing the best thing by getting a Winky crank.Hope he can figure this out.

josborn

#7 Post by josborn »

What's actually failing here "crank bearings" or the rod bearing?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Big end rod bearing is what is failing.I have never seen a failure of mainbearings in any crank except for the early 02 cranks.

josborn

#9 Post by josborn »

Sounds like it needs more oil flow to the crank, must be something restricting oil. Maybe on of those little o-ringed passages needs to be larger?

Could Rpm's be a factor as far as cranks failing? Maybe we should drop down some on the Rpm's?

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

WHAT!!! HOW DARE YOU SAY LIMIT THE RPMS!!!

I like having mine running at 30% higher than a 400ex. smile.gif