cannondale engine problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
markvette

cannondale engine problem

#1 Post by markvette »

ok we have had 2 engines go down on our moto in 6 months. one the tranny and ngine oil was mixing, the other locked up. i talked to a very reliable source last night about these 2 motors. this is what i was told and he said they had the same problems with their race cannondales. there are allen head bolts that hold the tranny and engine together. these bolts back out after time and cause the oil mixture and will eventually fall out and will get caught in the gears. now my question has anyone here had their engine apart and know exactly what bolts he is talking about and the best way to access them. he told me when they got a new dale the first thing they done was drop the motor, pull these bolts and red loctite them. pictures would be great if someone had some. we are getting ready to put a new motor on our moto and i want to do this before we install it.

Mark

Ryanstones

Hey Mark

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

Like Desert said. I guess it is vital to do the Crank Plate Stud update. Sounds like both your problems were related to this issue. I paid $50 for a motor manual, but all the info is on the cannondale website for free, if your 'puter will download the huge PDF files. Mine wouldn't. LapTraffic burned the entire service/technical sections to CD and he'll send you one for like $7. Works great! Taking it all apart is really pretty easy. you just need the timing specs for reassembly.

AlaskaSpeed

#3 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Ryan is correct. I haven't done the stud update, checked the allen bolts though and they were all tight as can be. With a new racing season coming up, I wonder if I should bite the bullet? More downtime? tough question...........JIM

markvette

#4 Post by markvette »

thanks guys
i went to cannondales site to look for the pictures but my little ole web tv wont down load anything. another question, did cannondale update the new motors to cure this problem ? just wondering since we are getting a new motor if it needs to be done or not. thanks again

Mark

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

Mark, you looking at the engine IPB?

I have all the service manuals, parts lists and bulletins on CD. If this is what you are looking for I can send you a copy for $5.40 (cost of the CD and shipping)

But wait! there's more!

Ok, theres not more, but I always wanted to say that. smile.gif

Let me know. I have a few copies laying around.

Ryanstones

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

I think your advisor was right. You need to pull the side cover off and check to see if the crank plate has allen bolts or studs with hex nuts. You don't know when your motor was produced and that's the only way to be sure. 10 minute job. I would think if it had the old fasteners it would come with the stud update kit. But...
so your new bike locked up due to a stud backing out? and bent the crank?
If you do the stud update kit you need to make sure the scavenge pump cover seals completely to the plate. I could mail you my engine book, $40 shipped. Should be 1 day service between us.

good pic alaska biggrin.gif

markvette

#7 Post by markvette »

no the bent crank is another motor. this quad is on its fourth motor. original motor is the one with the engine and tranny oil mixing, second motor is the one that locked up, third motor is the one with the bent crank. same person that told me about the stud issue also told me the bent crank came from doing biggggggg jumps. this quad stalled in the air on a big jump and stuck like glue when it landed. we noticed a noise in the motor afterwards and the dealer that josh rides for checked the quad out and could not find the problem. well we found the problem this past weekend... bent crank. this new motor will be number 4. the dealer has the yellow book so i will check it out plus call cannondale to see if the update has been done to our new motor. i was told i can give them the serial number and they can tell me. the motor is not here yet but we expect it thursday.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

The easiest way to check for the stud update is just remove the clutch cover and all the disks along with the inner hub you can then see some of the allen bolts or if updated you will see studs and nuts.This way you dont have to remove motor or sidecover.

Ryanstones

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

wouldn't it be easier to pull the side cover on a new replacement engine?biggrin.gif

Motoman440

#10 Post by Motoman440 »

Do any of you guys know if Cannondale put a Technical or Service Bulletin out about this problem??? I am going to check mine when I have time but now I am a little scared to take this thing to far from the garage. :confused: