Puking oil. AGAIN.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
danyeo

Puking oil. AGAIN.

#1 Post by danyeo »

Went riding today, started at 11:00am and rode all day till 4:00pm with no problem. I shut my quad off to swap with another guy so i could ride his YFZ and he says, hey there's oil all over the place. No, i didn't overfill the oil. I had the same problem last August. I have the vent hose update and stage 8 done. The quad still starts up and runs fine as i just rode it back to the trailer and again when i got home to park it so there's no noticeable damage. I have not had the time to troubleshoot it, probably tomorrow. IT was VERY HOT today, i would say close to 85 where we were riding. I did send my quad to Champion back in March for the updates and also Scott found out my head was destroyed when the decompression level broke off the cam taking out the head, he also sdwapped out my scavenger pump. SInce getting it back from Champion it has run great. I have had it out on 8 rides since then and no problems so i know Scott did a great job. I just hope this is something simple. If i need to spend another $500 bucks on it i may be done with thing.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Dan I know this may sound stupid, but when you put your oil in do you measure it in or pour a quart run the bike then add as needed? Sometimes the oil in the motor doesn't all get out so if you measure oil and insert then it gets overfilled.

If it isn't oil call Scott this shouldn't be happening!

acarli3

#3 Post by acarli3 »

I have to agree that it is likely an oil overfill. Happened to me a couple of times now.

danyeo

#4 Post by danyeo »

Originally posted by Derno24
Dan I know this may sound stupid, but when you put your oil in do you measure it in or pour a quart run the bike then add as needed?  Sometimes the oil in the motor doesn't all get out so if you measure oil and insert then it gets overfilled.  

If it isn't oil call Scott this shouldn't be happening!

Tomorrow I'll drain it out and let it sit for an hour while draining. ON my last oil change i drained it all out and added 1.7 quarts like the manual says. THe last ime i drained it though i think i may have just went ahead an added the 1.7 quarts so hopefuly it is something stupid. But why would it be fine for 5 hours of riding then do that at the end of the day? I don't have any plans on selling it as i love the way it rides since i had it remapped and piped. Hey Ron , think we are hitting Tower this coming Monday and i beleive Dave, 2 R's , might be coming along. Some guy i know who rides a DS rode with Dave while he had his. I heard about Dave's accident while riding in SOuth Jerey on his DS.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Hmm. I am not sure about the problem. Also check the vent lines maybe something got clogged. Just guessing. Also call Scott and see what he says.

I may go to tower on sunday, but I have to work on Monday. Unless.....What time do you think you are getting there?

Ryanstones

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

Were you riding WFO at the end of the day? High RPM's make an overfilled crankcase Spit! You CAN NOT measure the oil in. You've overfilled again.

Either that or your oil pump quit working for some reason.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

My bet is that it was overfilled, even letting it drain for an hour won't get all the oil out.

Last time I had my engine on the bench, when I was turning the crank to get to TDC it pumped probably a half a quart of oil out all over my bench.

danyeo

#8 Post by danyeo »

After reading the responses i have a feeling i overfilled it, at least that's what I'm hoping. Also if i beleive the frame spars should be drained first then the oil drain bolt, then the filter. I may have pulled the oil drain bolt off first, does draining the spars first allow it to drain the oil better? I was riding it on a track so i didn't get past 3rd gear but often had it pinned in 2nd and 3rd.
Hey Ron, we will probably be at at Tower between 9:30 and 10:00am. I can't wait to use my GPS up there.

fyrmedic

#9 Post by fyrmedic »

well, I had my first experience with overfilling it this past weekend. Never happened before, i've changed my oil at least 10 times, but it does happen. It really looks bad with oil and a ton of sand on braided hoses!!.lol. oh well.. live and learn!

danyeo

#10 Post by danyeo »

Originally posted by fyrmedic
well, I had my first experience with overfilling it this past weekend. Never happened before, i've changed my oil at least 10 times, but it does happen. It really looks bad with oil and a ton of sand on braided hoses!!.lol. oh well.. live and learn!

How much riding did you do before it happened and about how much oil do you remember putting in when you did your oil change?