Bike Won't Start.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Crockett77

#1 Post by Crockett77 »

Ok 2002 speed, Start and run the quad every month. Last month pulled the bike out to change the tires. Started the bike and it ran fine for a minute then shut it down.

Pulled the bike out in front of my garage and I started it again to give it a quick spin around the block before I put sand tires on it. The bike starts but the starter solinoid remained engaged. So I shut it down.

Noticed that the solinoid was loose off of the battery bracket fixed it and voile bike started andf ran fine.

On Saturday, 3/3 I attempted to start the bike but no go. I could hear the solinoid engaging and the starter humming like it is locked up.

Thinking maybe the battery was low, I removed it and charged it. Upon starting again the exact same thing, solinoid engaged, starter hums and the cable from the solinoid to the starter was heating up. Having an electrical background I am assuming the starter is locked up. But why?

Please help

fig

#2 Post by fig »

Before spending the money on a starter, pull out the spark plug and make sure the cylinder didn't fill up with oil from the check balls seeping. Pull the plug and see if it cranks over, you may want to put a rag or someing over the plug hole, if the cylinder is full of oil it will spit it everywhere when you crank it.

If this is the case, ride it more often biggrin.gif .

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

If you end up needing a starter, just PM me, I have a couple spares....

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

take the connection from the battery off at the post of the starter and clean it and retorque it down....

Easy E

#5 Post by Easy E »

Fig is right. Exact situation happened to my 03 Speed. It's a messy, but easy fix. Also, remove the oil filter and apply very low pressure air through the oil inlet on the back of the motor to help dislodge any debris (note: this is also messy!).

Crockett77

#6 Post by Crockett77 »

QUOTE (fig @ Mar 7 2007, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before spending the money on a starter, pull out the spark plug and make sure the cylinder didn't fill up with oil from the check balls seeping. Pull the plug and see if it cranks over, you may want to put a rag or someing over the plug hole, if the cylinder is full of oil it will spit it everywhere when you crank it.

If this is the case, ride it more often biggrin.gif .

BINGO,

Fixed it over the weekend and it runs like a scalded a** ape.

Thanks