Cannibal Maintenance?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
m250r

Cannibal Maintenance?

#1 Post by m250r »

Is maintaining a cannondale hard as some people say it is? What are the biggest problems that I would face with it?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

These motors are not hard to work on. If you are a little mechanically inclined and willing to do a little work then these things are kittins. The hardest part is when something breaks. Sometimes its obvious and you can fix it but if there is a problem you can't find then you will beat on your head for a while. But, you will find it.

Maintanance is the same as any quad. Change the filter regulary, more the better in my book. Check the valves every year and thats about it. If your quad doesn't have a stage 8 update then you need to do it. It will have you a chance to see the inside of the motor and get some experience in checking the valves.

First things i would do with your quad:
1) Pull the motor. pull the motor
2) Pull side cover, water pump cover, valve covers off. All very easy just some 6mm socket with extension.
3) Have valve cover powder coated to protect from corrosion.
4) check vavle spacing and re-shim if necessary. Just put motor in TDC and use a feeler gauge
5) perform stage 8 update. stage 8 install
6) Pull the stator cover on the other side of the motor. If you can see sheathing on the wires behind the flywheel then you are good. If there is no sheathing then you need to pull the flywheel and stator and add some. Heat will cause the wires to melt and short out. stator wire update
6) Put back together and install the motor
7) Install the motor mount update if necessary. ~ 25 bucks from maz or haydug. It adds a spacer between the front engine mounts. You may have this already. motor mount update
8) Battery update. When installing the batter box just add some spacers underneath the box on the motor side to get the battery to clear the motor during running.
9)Enjoy as much as you can. Don't sweat your crank going out or stuff breaking. Its not like you can do anything about it until it does.

I know that may sound like alot but it really isn't. Once you get the motor out all of that will flow very nicely. Just get the engine manual downloaded and follow the instructions. manual--big I know your first time this all may take a while but it gets much easier. Just take your time and be sure your work is thurough. If you need help, just post. There is a lot of good people on these boards.

Sean

Rastus

#3 Post by Rastus »

I know I can do the battery, stator, and motor mount updates.... but how do you perform a stage 8 install? I looked at the schematic..., but it didn't say much about how to perform it.

Thanks.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Get the motor out then take the side cover off. You have to remove the clutch plates and housing and the timing chain. Then there are certain bolts that you swap out. You remove the old bolts and install the new ones.

Rastus

#5 Post by Rastus »