FX engines question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
CannondaleRider

FX engines question

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

I was thinking about the FX motors. I know mine has the aluminum valve cover with absolutly NO corrosion whatsoever, of course it has the FX cams, and the previous owner (my brother in law) said when he took the motor apart after it went, every one of the crank plate bolts (is that right?) were tight as needed, and he doesn't have the Stage 8 kit or anything. So if you can solve any problems they may have, wouldn't the FX motor be the elite Dale' motor :confused: :head:

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

They are good, but not sure they're the elite. I actually like the early 02 motors because the only real change needed is the valve cover.

Good Case - same as FX
Good Crank - same as FX
Better Crank bearings - fixed from FX
Hydro Clutch
Cams - not really sure, probably varies
Piston - can vary, but none of the cylinders cracked like the 03's
Valve Cover - uncoated magnesium, worst out there.

protraxrptr17

#3 Post by protraxrptr17 »

What is better about the FX cams? Will they work in the later engines? Can Doug get them? I'm probably going to need new cams. That is why I am so curious.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I believe the specs are a little hotter to go with the higher compression of the FX motors. You usually need more compression for a more aggresive cam.

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

you'll need different valve shims to use them. i think the kfx/z 400's are the right ones. do a search for webcams, to get the specs, they're the company that makes them. i'm sure doug could get them for you.

Fullbore 350x

#6 Post by Fullbore 350x »

I have a 2002 speed, how can I tell if its an early one or not.

Fullbore 350x

#7 Post by Fullbore 350x »

"cannondale" is stamped under the front sprocket, so i guess I have the early 02. Also, I have a hydro clutch.

Psychosis

#8 Post by Psychosis »

This goes along w/something that's confusing me. I have an 03 LE Cannibal and everything including the frame vin match the 03. However, C'Dale replaced the original engine under warranty of the original owner. My engine has Cannondale stamped under the sprocket, the hydro clutch, and alum valve cover. Does this mean mine's one of the "better" ones?

cdrookie

#9 Post by cdrookie »

the "cannondale" under the sprocket is the late 02-03. the hydro clutch is also 02-03, but a few early 02's had their cases machined for the hydro clutch and didn't have the cannondale under the sprocket.

cdrookie

#10 Post by cdrookie »

great minds think alike, ******!:head: