cable to hydro clutch conversion

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
trx250r2nv

cable to hydro clutch conversion

#1 Post by trx250r2nv »

Any body know if this can be done fairly easily. I am not into changing engine cases because I have the better early cast cases. I really want a hydro but don't want to tear my motor apart to swap cases. Any input would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy:confused:

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Yep, I've got one that was machined at the factory. I'd be glad to take pics and measurements for you, but my guess is that you would have to strip the motor down to do the case machining. You'd may be able to find someone with a case like mine and swap it over.

I believe any of the early 02 Speeds, Moto's, and Blaze's would have this case.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

You could also use a bolt on kit with the seperate slave cylinder.I bet if you call Magura they will set you up otherwise just take measurement from where your cablehousing ends to where the cable attaches to arm then measure a Banshee,400ex,z400 etc they make them for all these one will fit.

trx250r2nv

#4 Post by trx250r2nv »

Is it possible to get a pic or 2 so I can at least check to see if I got lucky. I really want to go hydro.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by trx250r2nv
Is it possible to get a pic or 2 so I can at least check to see if I got lucky. I really want to go hydro.

Thanks,
Jeremy

What they were saying is no matter what you will have to take the case apart and have it machined to accept the hydro clutch.

I checked with magura about just the cable actuator like they do for most other quads and they said it would take a little work on my part to make it work. But it may be possible. No guarantee's.

02Cannibal

#6 Post by 02Cannibal »

Magura makes a hydro clutch with enough pull to work with the Dale. The problem is that the way the cable clutch is mounted, it has a slight curve to it. The Magura unit must be perfectly straight or else it will leak. Therefore, you would have to make a bracket to change the mount point and have it pull straight.

I had a system working with a Magura KTM LC4 clutch kit, and a small bracket to move the mount point slightly left of where the cable mount point is located. It worked, but it never pulled in enough and had more drag then the cable unit. I didn't like the extra drag, and took the unit off. Perhaps changing the angle of the mount point would have worked, but I canned the project in favor of some others. Maybe this info will be enough for someone else to make it work.

MotoX_Racer07

I've got one

#7 Post by MotoX_Racer07 »

I have an 02 Cannibal engine build date 2/28/02 with the cast hydro case ... we had two others at the shop that came in with these but cranks failed and sent the engines back and they sent the crap cases back ... but I kept mine

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Someday I will find one of those cases also.I wonder where all the old cable cases ended up?ATK?They were alot better design.

iceracer17

#9 Post by iceracer17 »

Krazykurtk has a old nacs moto with a old case and looks like it was a prototype for the hydro,welds and cuts.He's dropping it this week i'll try to get over and take some pics.