What kind of crank is this?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
protraxrptr17

What kind of crank is this?

#1 Post by protraxrptr17 »

I bought a seized bottom end from nickg, and it had this crank in it. I was just wondering what kind it is. I don't think it's stock (H-beam rod). Is it rebuildable? It looks like it has needle bearings in the rod bearing. It's locked up pretty tight.

Here's some numbers and a logo,

Why is the counterbalancer weight purple? Is it special for that crank? Hope not. That is one of the parts I need out of this engine. Here's a pic,

Hey nickg, glad I bought the engine. Every piece I needed was good. I think the cylinder and piston are even good. Don't know if I'll use it though.

protraxrptr17

#2 Post by protraxrptr17 »

20 views and nobody knows. I also noticed later that the clutch side of the crank looks all custom and the flywheel side looks like it was mass produced. The clutch side has marks where it has been ground on for balancing or something. Is the 09 2000 a date perhaps? Any of you former employees have any ideas? I'm just curious about it because it's strange lookin'. Will that weight come off the counter balancer? It looks custom also. C'mon guys, somebody here must know.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Looks similar to the 02 crank but the flywheel stub is different I think.Here is a pic of 03(top) and 02(bottom).

protraxrptr17

#4 Post by protraxrptr17 »

I thought the engine in my quad was an '02 but it must be an '03. the crank in it looks like the one in the top of your picture. I see now why they say the '02 crank is better. What do you think about that counterbalancer? I don't remember my other one looking like that. (It's at my shop 20 miles away)

protraxrptr17

#5 Post by protraxrptr17 »

I think it was. Hey Nick, you know anything about where it came from?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Hard to tell about counterbalancer.Could it just be heat treated differently?Or is that something like dykem?I would weigh that one and the one you have and check sync to mark on gear if its all same run it.

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Looks similar to the 02 crank but the flywheel stub is different I think.Here is a pic of 03(top) and 02(bottom).

I think it's just a run of the mill early '02 crank. It looks like it has the oil seal on it which may be what threw you '27.

As for the color of the counter balancer, it's not like any that I've ever seen. My first guess is that the color is from heat treating. It'll be interesting if someone know the real deal.

cdrookie

#8 Post by cdrookie »

i'm not sure what type of material that is but that color blue tells me it wasn't real hot. at least in terms of heat treating. but i wouldn't think it would need to be very hard.:confused:

protraxrptr17

#9 Post by protraxrptr17 »

It doesn't look like it was heat treated when you see it in person. It looks like some kind of coloring. The color is so consistent. It is just on the weight also. That's what made me wonder about it. I think that it was colored to distinguish it from an ordinary CB. I'm going to compare them as soon as I can. I'm going to try to race this weekend so it might be weekend after next before I make it to the shop.

nickg

#10 Post by nickg »

well, all i can say is that all my stuff is preproduction or prototype. this may have been a test engine ...maybe even an 04. I figure it is a development part aimed at fixing the issue, that was a later motor