Engine is *******

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
SlOoT

Engine is *******

#1 Post by SlOoT »

We bought a Speed with a non-running engine.
We tore it down and opened up the engine, the result:
-2 broken valves (intake)
-2 bent valves (outtake)
-bent wristpin
-slightly damaged sleeve
-really ****ed up piston

One of the valves even went straight tru the piston

My questions:
-Were can I get replacement parts ???
-And what may have caused this ???

b.t.w. we think that the crank is also kinda messed up

smile.gif sad.gif :eek:

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

If the rod bearing on the crank went you would have more clearance and the rod could move further up the cylinder. This could cause it to come in contact with the valves. Multiply this by several thousand rpms, and ....... ouch.

:eek:

SlOoT

#3 Post by SlOoT »

Originally posted by kdeal
If the rod bearing on the crank went you would have more clearance and the rod could move further up the cylinder. This could cause it to come in contact with the valves. Multiply this by several thousand rpms, and ....... ouch.

:eek:

we think thats the case, but if the crank is ***** than it won't we worth getting a new one, to much $$$$.

Than it will become a Cannondale 450SX.

SlOoT

#4 Post by SlOoT »

Originally posted by ******
Sounds like it jumped out of time:(  

Give haydug a call he'll get you hooked up and running again:deal:

we checked the timing, it looks just fine.

250rmike

#5 Post by 250rmike »

oh its still definatly worth it to rebuild the motor. i have only rode my bike a few times and i love the motor not to sure on the stock reliability but im sold on the power it makes. im gonna send my motor to haydug or to atk during the off season in winter most likely just to make it more reliable

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Is it possible that these are Titanium valves(not stock)?There was some issues with some aftermarket valves.Otherwise check the decompression mechanism if it fails it could cause this.

Swampdale

#7 Post by Swampdale »

My first guess would be a broken timing chain, but after reading the entire thresd, check the lower end (crank bearings, rod bearings, etc.)sad.gif

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

We brougt the crank to a special company,
The crank is fine, but the wristpin is *****, but they can get us a new one wink.gif

We think that the previous owner had a crank with **** bearings and the piston hit the valves and that they bent. Then he/she put a new crank in it and then the bent valves started playing a role.....

But that's what we THINK at the moment.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

With the piston contacting the valves & the rod wrist pin going bad, I don't think I would reuse that connecting rod & crank again as is.... Just my thoughts.

SlOoT

#10 Post by SlOoT »

But gettin a new crank+bearings = $$$$$
The Wrist Pin is going to be replaced.

If the engine blows again when we have it fixed we will contact the company next to my dads company and get us a 450cc dirtbike engine.