well...it isn't the crank

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
blaze#52

well...it isn't the crank

#1 Post by blaze#52 »

here is a couple of pics of my buddies 03 cannibal, it is kind of strange how it broke, right at the bottom of the stem, it rattled a little bit, enough to do damage. I have some spare parts and hope to have it complete by tomarrow night. He said it popped and then just locked up, well it makes sense, i know that it has happened before any ideas on why, thanks agian Brian

blaze#52

#2 Post by blaze#52 »

here is the piston, it did not punch holes in anything. I told him to pull the plug and look at it, he called me back and said that the electrodes are smashed flat, not good.

Cody_300ex

#3 Post by Cody_300ex »

ouch that had to hurt. That sucks man hope u dont miss any races!

timbomoose

#4 Post by timbomoose »

The problem was probably caused from running the 11,600 rev limiter.The valves float very close to the 11,600 rev limiter and after time the valve springs fatigue along with the valves causing the valves to float at a lower rpm and can cause it to hit the piston or fatigue the valves to the point of breaking.

cannibalq8

#5 Post by cannibalq8 »

is that mean we should lower the RPM in the map? stock cdale rpm rated to 11.600 except the cannibal.. why this happend just for him?

BTW... this is what happend for my SBM/WWE also

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

It could also happen from not enough valve clearance.If the valve doesnt seat it will heat up and could stick.It sure looks like it was running for a long time without a good seal before it broke off finally.

bknight

#7 Post by bknight »

is this y atk told me that when thy do the umm updats to the motor. that thy do a lap job to the vale.
he said that cannondale just took the vale out of the box right to the heads no lapping???

Swampdale

#8 Post by Swampdale »

I won't argue the fact that a "weak" spring could cause a valve to float and consequently make contact with the piston, but the inherent valve/stem design allows them to separate too. The stem is very poorly joined to the valve disc and is also under cut at the base where it is fusion welded to the disc. Further investigate the point of failure. I would not be surprized if it appears to have sheared off at the base. This would be indicative of a failed weld. If the steam is bent the valve probably was in contact with the piston.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

I got one just like it. It came from PDavis's second motor, the one from the Spring Ride. He also had exhaust cam damage that ate into the valve bucket as well. I think the valve clearances were a little loose in it, to say the least.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Swampdale is right I forgot about that problem.Seems like a lot of carbon in the intake tract though.