gas tank filter

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
KYmxracer52

gas tank filter

#1 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Since i have my tank off, I thought I'd clean out the filter at the end of the pickup hoses. So, how do I get to them? Do you just unscrew the hose at the quick-connect fitting or what? IS there a chance of dropping the hose down in the tank and never being able to get it out again???:eek:

cdalepilot

#2 Post by cdalepilot »

:eek: ????????? , let me suggest something to ya , hire yourself a mechanic .:drink:

KYmxracer52

#3 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Man, I'll let ya in on a little secret. I DON'T NEED A MECHANIC!!! I have disassembled and reassembled more engines than I can count. My question for this thread, was: is there anything special you have to do to remove this filter. Not to sound like a jerk, but if you don't have an answer for my question or to add some detail, please leave the crap out. I just want to get this cleaned out. not wanting to chit chat about it and tell someone I don't need a mechanic.

r.porter

#4 Post by r.porter »

Just make a hook with a piece of wire and fish the hose out of the filler neck

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

sad.gif Holy freaking cow people. Chill out! You would think we were talking about a prototype gas tank or something. WOH!

Yeah yeah, I am a funny guy. :w:

KYmxracer52

#6 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Sorry people if it sounded like I flew off the handle. I guess I just took his post the wrong way. I'm usually not like that. I just plainly wanted to know how exactly the filter came out. That's all.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey the wire hook is a good idea!I always just unscrewed the whole fitting but was always worried about wreaking the threads in plastic tank.Good tip.

KYmxracer52

#8 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Yeah thanks for the tip Porter. Probably save time too.

Swampdale

#9 Post by Swampdale »

I have found on more than one occassion, plastic filings lodged in the suction screen, probably from the machining of the fuel fitting threads. I recommend cleaning the tank. The stock tubing has a tendancy to collapse over time. Heat transmitted from the engine to the fuel also contributes to softening the tubing. As a result, you may experience fuel pump starvation on very hot days. This seems to more of a problem with us XC guys. Sometimes we get caught in bottle necks and little or no cooling is provided which adds to this problem. Anyway, consider replacing the suction hose with fuel injection hose. This is a must if you use a high performance pump such as the MSD. I left the suction screen off. The inline filter will capture the small stuff. Keep your tank clean and you'll have no problems.:usa