Leaking Coolant?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jn2jhavens

Leaking Coolant?

#1 Post by jn2jhavens »

I have an E440 motorcycle and I am leaking coolant out of the weep hole under the water impellar. Can any one tell me what to check or fix so that it will quit leaking. It is a very small amount, but at $25 a gallon for Evans NPG+ I would rather keep it in the bike.:cry:

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

If you are leaking out of the weep hole then coolant is making it past the first seal behind the impellar. I would guess you would have the same corrosion issues we would so take that cover off and get her cleaned up. An easy check would be to take the impellar cover off the side of the valve cover and you should see if there is any corrosion.

jn2jhavens

#3 Post by jn2jhavens »

I do have some corrosion, but I did not think that it was bad enough to actually leak. Are you talking about the seal that is on the cam shaft?

Delaware152

#4 Post by Delaware152 »

I had the same problem. First I replaced the water pump seal and it stopped for about 20 minutes and then it spit the cam cap though the valve cover. I learned the hard way but from now on I will check the cam cap also.

jn2jhavens

#5 Post by jn2jhavens »

What do you mean by cam cap? I pulled the water impellar housing and there is a seal behind the impellar that is on the cam. Other than that the only other item is can see is the cam cover gasket and the cam cover. Is there something I am missing?:confused:

Delaware152

#6 Post by Delaware152 »

The cap that holds the camshaft down. You have to remove the valve cover to take a look at it.

jn2jhavens

#7 Post by jn2jhavens »

O.K. now this makes sense, it is the coolant seal that is on the cam and held down by the cam cover. Great now I get to pull the motor YEAH! Thanks for all the help from all of you.biggrin.gif

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

I would bet that you have a corrosion related leak. I have seen some corrosion that didn't look bad at all but it had all dug in 1 pit and chewed through to the inside of the seal. Nothing powder coating and silicon can't handle. smile.gif I love my dales.