engine help

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
superfly

engine help

#1 Post by superfly »

Anyways yesterday it was time again to change the oil in my dale. Didnt go so good this time though. My engine oil filter, scotts SS, i know u guys dont like em, but it had a lot more than usual metal flakes in it i mean i could really see it. Then i get to the transmission and the tranny filter is like not missing but somehow is stuck in there and wont come out. Ok now what i need to know is what special tools do i need to get the crank out? Flywheel puller, ect? I have all metric sockets wrenches and everything but i need to know what special tools are needed.

-superfly

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

When you say metal were the particles steel or aluminum? If aluminum you might be ok ,if steel the crank only has a couple hours of life left in it. Go to the crank update post for more info. The only special tools needed are a torque wrench ansd flywheel puller.

superfly

metal

#3 Post by superfly »

yeah im pretty sure its metal i took a magnet and pretty much cleaned out my oil filter.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Yep pull her down. In one way your lucky now there are a bunch of ways to get your crank back on the road. By your catching this early you might haved saved your engine from far worse damage.

superfly

#5 Post by superfly »

thanks wistech, iv been keeping up on the crank thread, but if mines worne to much will i have to buy a new crank or is there other options?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

If your rod and crank pin are bad a z400 pin and bearing can be used with a good used rod or new rods that should be available soon.

cdaleracer52

#7 Post by cdaleracer52 »

Now about that tranny filter. I had the same problem. Plan on buying a new one ($30) . You see, its supposed to be incerted into this little hole inside the crack case and sometimes if its not installed correctly or just from movement in the motor, it might come out of that hole and the filter will get sideways inside the motor. I thought it was going to be impossible to get it out and i tried my hardest not to damage anything, but it just wasn't working. Finaly i got fed up and i began sticking a pointy screew driver in there and stabbing through the filter just trying to get it to bend slightly so it has room to move around in there. I wrecked the filter to the point where it was no longer usable but in grabbing range with needle nose plyers and it was still being stubborn and one good yank and it came right out. I have to say the filter looked like some one hit it several times with a hammer and then began chewing on it. I know it sounds like a harsh way of removing it but trust me i spent hours just trying to remove it. Take it easy at first mabye its not positioned in such a bad was as mine was but, all i have to say is do what it takes to get it out.

superfly

#8 Post by superfly »

Hey guys just thought i would update this since it was bumbed to the top. Anyways I havent started tear down on it yet, i have senior pictures tomorrow and my quads goin with me for a pic. so i have it all shined up right now. I ffigured i should probaly have an engine in it for pictures, jmo? After tomorrow its comin apart. Iv read up on a lot of threads so i have a pretty good idea of what to do. thanks for all the support on here guys.

CdaleRacer0128

#9 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

engine tear down is easy. take out the radiator and airbox, take some time but save a lotta hassel.. imo it was worth to do it

Cdale_racer_669

#10 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

engine tear down is easy. i am 15 and did it all myself. i thought the hardest part was getting the rear mount in right lol