Glowing Pipe

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

Glowing Pipe

#1 Post by Jaybr »

Just installed the HMF header pipe a couple weeks ago and noticed that just idling at warmup its so hot it's glowing for the first few inches. I never noticed this on the stock pipe, is it normal or something I should be worried about?

JST

#2 Post by JST »

I have the HMF slip-on and have had the stock head pipe glowing is this normal???

Cannibal440

#3 Post by Cannibal440 »

I'm thinking that you guy's with the glowing headpipes are probably running too lean. I don't believe mine glows but my bike runs pretty rich. What map are you guys running?

JST

#4 Post by JST »

I'm not sure of my map,it was done by Kyle at R&S for the slip-on.I'll call him Tuesday after he returns from the show.The only time I noticed it glowing red was when a buddy of mine was using it for practice on my track.

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

I was thinking it may be a little lean too, I know lean runs hotter. I recently dropped the injector offset .01 because I thought it was rich, I bumped it back up to the factory setting today but haven't checked the headpipe yet.

I was running a Blaze traction map when I noticed the glow, switched to Moto while I had it hooked up today.

The strange thing is I rarely hear the radiator fan running, and I would think if it was running hot the fan would run alot.

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by JST
I'm not sure of my map,it was done by Kyle at R&S for the slip-on.I'll call him Tuesday after he returns from the show.The only time I noticed it glowing red was when a buddy of mine was using it for practice on my track.

I've got a call in to him, he'll call me back tomorrow and let me know if it's normal.

I was running the HMF slipon for 6 months and never noticed it glowing, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. I rarely ride at night and it's not that noticable during the day.

JST

#7 Post by JST »

Exactly.It was only at dusk that i noticed it,I've got headlight deletes so I obviously do not ride at night .

Jaybr

#8 Post by Jaybr »

Kyle says its normal, even sees it on stock pipes when riding at night.

JST

#9 Post by JST »

Thanka Jaybr,I tried to call Kyle today but did not get an answer.When I spoke to him at Indy he said he was dredding the trip home in the snow with the trailer.

Big Winky

#10 Post by Big Winky »

yes, it is normal, yzf's do it all the time, seen it on a few well jetted ex's, crf's ..all the time, christa's cannibale does it also. found that you have the injector mapping very close if you notice the pipe glowing. we personally don't take them any leaner.