Which case should I keep?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
protraxrptr17

Which case should I keep?

#1 Post by protraxrptr17 »

I have two cases which are in good shape. One is an '02 hydraulic case with the Cannondale over the drain plugs. The second one is a prototype I bought from nickg. It is a hydraulic case but it has no Cannondale over the plugs. It's number is AAA5B1000729. Is this one of the rare hydraulic cases that were made using the stronger manufacturing process? I think I heard it called pre-SSM. What does SSM stand for? I'm going to sell whichever case I don't use so I can pay the balance on my Falicon. How much should I ask for each case? Any of you fellers need a good case? Thanks for the help.

MotoX_Racer07

Cases

#2 Post by MotoX_Racer07 »

You want the case with the hydraulic clutch but with no Cannondale inscribed. That is the better case which is cast aluminum. The other case is the weaker of the two SSM which means Semi Solid metallic. It is a different casting material not sure what all is different but it is for sure weaker (it is too a type of aluminum but different materials used with it). Cannondale mainly went to that later case due to cost, it was a cheaper way to make them. I have yet to see any of the old style cases break. The motor mount update was not required for them either. But with any of the cases you should shim the front motor mounts so it fits snug without binding the engine cradle. There were also a few old Cable clutch cases I think two others that were different. Some have more material around where your head studs are threaded into and even around the Crank plate towards the front. The stator side had two bolts from the head that actually ran to the bottom off the case for more strength. That would be the X5 case. There may even be more then what I've seen.

jfarrar

#3 Post by jfarrar »

let me know what you need for that extra case you got.i need one.

protraxrptr17

#4 Post by protraxrptr17 »

jfarrar, I don't know how much to ask for it. Just tell me a figure and we'll do something. I have the complete lower end minus the crank,stator,flywheel,and slave cylinder that I need to sell if you need all the extras. Transmission is good. Only thing that I seen was a little piece of one ear on the trans cartridge plate was broke off. The bolt still has plenty of meat to hold it in place though. The scavenge pump housing in the case is a little scratched but I think it'll be alright. I'll go get it from my shop tomorrow and get you some pics. I need to post this in the for sale section. I'll wait untill you decide if you want it or not first. I guess we need to discuss this in PM's. Just offer something. You can't hurt my feelings.

jfarrar

#5 Post by jfarrar »

dude you got just what i need.let me muster upo a price and ill get back to ya.send me some pics if ya can to jfarrar30@yahoo.com

protraxrptr17

#6 Post by protraxrptr17 »

Ten-four. I'll get the pics tomorrow if'n it ain't too late when I get home.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

What about the case from NickG makes it a prototype? That would be my only concern about that particular case.

Protrax was right on about the differences between SSM and pre-SSM, and both mine are now pre-SSM hydro cases but neither would be considered prototypes.

nickg

#8 Post by nickg »

it had a bunch of experimental parts in it, crank, balancer etc. the case itself may be stock. the guts weren't

Jaybr

#9 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by nickg
it had a bunch of experimental parts in it, crank, balancer etc. the case itself may be stock. the guts weren't

Cool, that would be the case I kept then.

protraxrptr17

#10 Post by protraxrptr17 »

I still owe Nick a bunch of pictures. Ill start a new thread with a bunch of pictures tomorrow so ya'll can look at the case and guts and maybe point out some differences. I haven't got a chance to compare the cases and guts to see the differences if any. I guess it will be kinda cool having some prototype parts on my quad.