Is my Cannibal going to die?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ABM-CANNIBAL

Is my Cannibal going to die?

#1 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

My 2002 Cannibal w/the mc500 just started making a loud ticking noise from the engine. I have had it over a year now. The previous owner put about 50hrs on it and I have put around 50hrs on it. It still runs perfect except for the noise. Is this a sign of the crank going out or do the valves have to be adjusted? What should I do?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Ticking like a timebomb? :eek:

Crack it open and find out.

cannondale440

#3 Post by cannondale440 »

First thing I would do is change your oils and check your oil filter for shavings. If there is more than normal than drop the motor before anymore damage happens.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#4 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

I was going to change the oil this weekend anyways. Looks like I will miss my last race for the season next weekend. Hopefully it won't be to bad.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

100 hrs is what they were designed for, so sounds like a good time to tear it down.

Marc

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

It very well may be just the springs in the head. Cdalexct had a fx400 with well over 200 hrs on it. Sounded like a bomb, but kept running. I would do the oil change and if nothing shows up run the race. Then drop the motor so you can do a valve adjustment. I know his was making some weird noises when he ran it.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#7 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Thanks Derno. I will be draining the oil tonight. Hopefully there won't be any shavings. It would be nice to run the race and then drop the motor for a little freshing up.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#8 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

I drained the oil last night and there were no shavings. It was in need of a oil change. Both filters were clean and ran a magnet through the oil and it picked up nothing. I will run this race and see what happens.

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

Yep, run her hard. My motto is: go or blow. I think rookie follows this same motto.

bombsquad54

problem

#10 Post by bombsquad54 »

YOUR DECOMPRESSION LEVER COULD BE BROKEN!!!! DONT RUN IT. I DID WHEN MINE DID THIS AND NOW IM GOING ON 500.00 FOR REPAIRS, WHEN IT WAS A 90 DOLLAR PROBLEM!!! MINE BROKE WITH ONLY 1 HOUR ON IT. AND NOW HAPPYBOY IS REBUILDING. YOU WILL HAVE TO PULL YOUR MOTOR BUT ITS BETTER THAN REPLACING EVERYTHING INSIDE IT. MINE RAN PERFECT BUT TICKED REALLY BAD.