Engine cutting out!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
crawlr

Engine cutting out!

#1 Post by crawlr »

I have a Speed with all the updates done by SBM and it has run great for quite a while but the last time I rode it the engine would only rev about halfway then cut out. I thought it was probably the fuel filter so I kept the rpm low for the rest of the ride. It runs great, idles great, revs great up to about half the rpm range.

So i finally decided to see whats up and I can't get it to change. I've changed the fuel filter, spark plug, reset the tps and the idle, changed the map, cleaned the air filter, checked all the electrical connections, everything I could think of. The battery is good and the cables are tight, it has a good spark when I crank it with the plug out, fuel seems the flow pretty well out the return in the tank when I run it in the garage but it's kinda hard to check it when I'm test riding. Also I've checked the screen at the end of the pickup tube in the tank and it's clean.

It only seems to be under load. When I rev it in the garage it sounds fine. When I'm riding it it pulls hard halfway through first gear then justs cuts like it's starving for fuel. It doesn't die, it just won't rev any higher like a rev limiter.
What am I missing?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

I'm no expert on this, but check the o-rings on the fuel disconnect fittings. I had a similar problem the other day, and found that I had not secured the return line fitting properly (it had to be sucking in air). Good Luck.

Sandstorm

#3 Post by Sandstorm »

I had a motor home that would cut out under load. It would rev up in neutral just fine. My wrench said it's electrical, because of the symptoms being "Under a load". He was right, it was a cracked plug.. Might not be a plug, but could be electrical..

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Plug,Fuel(disconnects or even loose plugin for injectors),coil thats the order I would check in.

crawlr

#5 Post by crawlr »

I went through everything again and now it seems to be running ok. with it running in the garage there was always a steady stream coming out of the return tube but it's hard to tell when it's under a load. I did notice a kink in the return line when I was puting the tank back on this time so i rerouted the hose. That very well may have been it! Thanks for all the ideas. It's getting too late to test ride so I'll get a better test in tomorrow to see if it's still good.

crawlr

#6 Post by crawlr »

Originally posted by ******
Never too late for a test ride! tell the neighbors to kiss your :w:  ya gotta see if she's running right:hammer:

Well aparently 5 o'clock in the afternoon is too late for a test ride because my neighbor just yelled at me for it!

So anyway, i got a few good runs in before the fireworks and it still stumbles a little when I accelerate hard. This thing is driving me nuts! It's not nearly as bad as it was so I must have done something right but I did EVERYTHING so I still have no clue what the problem is.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Yelled at you at 5? Tell him to go poo on himself. I am sure your below the legal limit on db anyways.. wink.gif