Motor locked up

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Blazinmoto

Motor locked up

#1 Post by Blazinmoto »

I am tearing down my motor because I believe I have a crank failure. Can anyone suggest to me how to get the piston aligned with the wrist pin access hole? Tried to break crank free with a breaker bar on the crank nut and no luck. Thanks! :cry: :mad:

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Block of wood on top of piston hit it with a mallet.If its close and the sleeve is out the pin can be moved far enough to remove piston.Tricky part is getting the clip out.

Blazinmoto

motor locked up

#3 Post by Blazinmoto »

What if the piston is at or almost at the bottom of the stroke?:cry:

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Go ahead and take the mallet and wood to it. You just need to jar it hard enough to break the seize up. Then you should be able to move it with the nut. I use an impact gun on mine to break the nuts free. You may be able to do the same thing to try and turn it over.

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

They had to use an air hammer and cold chisle with repeated heating and cooling to break my seized bearing. It locked up pretty hard.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

If at bottom dead center it will be easier just get the sleeve out and remove the crankplate leaving the crank in the motor you will then be able to get at the clip and piston pin.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

I had a similar situation on a bike engine. It took a while but she broke loose by alternatly turning the flywheel side and the crank gear side with an occasional whack with a block of wood on the piston. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Blazinmoto

#8 Post by Blazinmoto »

The wrenches on both sides of crank and block of wood hit with hammer worked. Thanks for the help guys, now on with the rebuild! Just need to deciede atk or falicon crank as replacement. Any thoughts? :hammer: :clap: :clap:

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

One word Falicon!

dalewannbe

#10 Post by dalewannbe »

I don't think atk has the zbearing update. By the time you did the zbearing update, you would probably have as much into as a Falicon.

Timbo could also probably help you out too.