Motor Troubles again!!!!!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

If its getting in the cyllinder it will wash down past the rings. It is possible that the cyllinder has the wrong depth groove in it for the head seal ring. If it was to deep the seal wont compress enough.

dunegoony

#12 Post by dunegoony »

this motor has ran nearly 200 + hours w/o a bit of problems..then BANG....sucking water

nicksglamis440

#13 Post by nicksglamis440 »

Thats what is was, cracked sleeve. I do not know how I missed that. So If I put a new sleeve in it I should have a new piston put in also right? To put a new sleeve in it do you havt to split the cases?

cdrookie

#14 Post by cdrookie »

if the piston mics good and isn't all scratched up, i'd reuse it. you can't split the cases on a cannondale. wrap a couple raps of masking tape inside the bore and turn over the motor, the piston will push the sleeve up out.

iceracer17

#15 Post by iceracer17 »

If it had 200hrs on it,why not do a rebuild on it? That's asking alot of any motor.I would check piston,re-ring it if possible and replace crank/rod bearings and seals.Because you know if you don't that will be the next to go.IMO

nicksglamis440

#16 Post by nicksglamis440 »

I am not going to rebuild it right now, because i am going to the dunes for a week and a half over christmas and new years, unless you know of someone that can, do a crank, 450kit, all updates, and have it ready to go by friday of this coming week. I would love to redo the whole motor, but I would rather ride on a time bomb for a week, then have it fixed when I get back.

nicksglamis440

#17 Post by nicksglamis440 »

i.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

What are you saying? You want to put it back together and run it with a cracked sleeve?

Canniboomer

#19 Post by Canniboomer »

No, at the very least will re-sleeve after checking for any big-end rod play. Motor has the Cannondale factory stud update done, and has a VERY solid tight crankplate etc -- Still, that original rod bearing is suspect now or near future, but maybe not enough time for that now.

a while later now....I have the sleeve out and piston looks very good, with only slight wristpin discolor more to right side than left - no scoring. Yes some side clearance big end of rod, probably beyond spec, will get that measured soon. For the up/down play I feel "something" but very very slight -- have to get all flushed and try measurements.

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

OH . I see . Sure you could just throw a used sleeve in there and run it. I wouldnt worry about measuring the crank. They dont really wear out . The rod bearing just runs great until it breaks up.
Do you need a used sleeve?