New info about stud update !!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dawzie

New info about stud update !!!

#1 Post by dawzie »

Well now this is NEWS !!
I talked to Dustin at South Bay Moto 310-784-7690
HE said that this stud update we are doing is all wrong !! He said he was the one that told Cannondale that they have a serious problem. It seems that the crank plate bolt that we can get at through the clutch basket is the one that comes loose first. That one loosens then all the other follow suit. The reason it loosens is from the engine torque and vibration. According to him, no amount of locktight or stud change is going to keep this ONE screw tight. Their fix is to drill in two more screws in the right place. OK, I guess

They are backed up for 45 days already, what do I do. He said, do the up-date if you want but keep an eye on that one screw. Check it every couple of races. If it starts to be loose every day, watch out. The hole is inlongating and is ready to do major bad things.

I also talked to Quadsource (who is sending me the up-date kit),R&S and Columbia motorsports (my dealer). They all said that they believe that the up-date is the fix ?? One of them said to me that it is REAL important to let that RED locktight set up before running the motor.

I am so confussed now.

I guess we will still have to check the bolts every now and again. No piece of mind. sad.gif

LapTraffic

#2 Post by LapTraffic »

Im not sure why, if this is a chronic problem, theyre not just safety wiring this one bolt to another in a tightening pattern. Helluvalot cheaper than drilling and tapping more holes and I promise it wont back out then.

I think also you can torque a flange nut on a stud and achieve greater locking resistance than with a standard bolt. I would imagine that it would provide at least close to the same kind of stability that adding 2 additional bolts would.

I would not poo poo Cannondale's engineering department without more to go on, theyve done an amazing job thus far, even with their updates.

And remember, though South Bay Moto is a great shop, they are "Selling" something.

cannondale27

Pinning the transplate?

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

All the updates just replace the CRANKPLATE bolts and scavenger pump bolts.The bolt I have seen come loose first is the TRANSPLATE at 11:00.This seems to happen to the quads made at or around the same time as the LE's at a much higher rate than any other quads.I will bet there is more than one problem here.Rumor was torque values were set wrong at factory for a while.The loose bolts I saw didnt seem to have same loctite on them as ones in quads that were tight.
I dont see anyway you could fit a stud and nut to fix the trannyplate there just isnt room.Wiring would probably work.Anyone going to post pictures on correct way to wire.How about drilling and adding some pins to the plate then the bolts would just be keeping the plate on the pins?

MXMIKE

#4 Post by MXMIKE »

Thats the bolt that came loose on mine 27.The one at 11:00.
I checked mine after every 2 races till last weekend.Now I am looking to do a permanet fix.Are winter searies is over and I plan to tear it all down.

Birddog5150

#5 Post by Birddog5150 »

I too am interested in pics of correct way to safety wire bolts.

jcv440

#6 Post by jcv440 »

Terry Marcum also informed them of the mess up.....with no reaction what so ever from Cannondale.... :mad: