question about stud inspection

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
4punksdad

question about stud inspection

#1 Post by 4punksdad »

I am planning on pulling my clutch cover today to look for loose bolts behind the clutch basket. I have not been inside this motor yet and am not sure about whats required to yank the clutch plates out.

will I need to readjust the clutch after pulling the plates and basket or can I simply remove these items and then reinstall them? I looked at cannondale.com for a service bulletin, and there wasn't one that I noticed.

any help is appreciated.

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Not sure about the manual clutch, but with the hydrualic no adjustments are required. I doubt you would have to adjust teh manual either.

It's a pretty simple process, Pull clutch cover, pull 6 clutch springs, remove pressure plate and clutch plates and check the studs through the basket.

4punksdad

#3 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by Jaybr
Not sure about the manual clutch, but with the hydrualic no adjustments are required.  I doubt you would have to adjust teh manual either.

It's a pretty simple process, Pull clutch cover, pull 6 clutch springs, remove pressure plate and clutch plates and check the studs through the basket.

thanks jay
I am going to do it today. I will report my findings smile.gif

4punksdad

#4 Post by 4punksdad »

I went into the clutch and found all of my bolts in place. I tightened the 3 I could access and put her back together. I guess I will just check and tighten them each time I change the tranny oil until cannondale steps up to the plate and recalls their mistake or they come loose and cause me to drop the motor.

drbowtie

#5 Post by drbowtie »

I wish I could have spoke to you today at about 2... The three bolts you can get at are tranny cartridge bolts not crankcase. I stumbled on to another thread where a guy who claimed to be a Cannondale Engineer said that the torque rating on those bolts is critical and not to mess much with em.

I've got a detailed e-mail into him to see what he wants us to do with the tranny bolts because those are the ones that I think everyone is messing with and they are not the ones that have the bulletin. ???? ???? ???? ????:confused:

4punksdad

#6 Post by 4punksdad »

I have my own critical torque................I want all of my bolts TIGHT smile.gif

cannondale needs to fix this problem..........not us. If the torque is so critical, why didn't they get it right at the factory? The pictures I have seen are these same bolts falling out & tearing stuff up. Am I missing something?

drbowtie

#7 Post by drbowtie »

I'm with you on this one... Moto440mans tranny bolts launched his motor! But the bolts that we saw the most pictures of were just that tranny bolts. Only one of his photo's shows the hole where a crankcase bolt went.

That's why I'm confused. If the crankcase is the problem then why are the tranny bolts falling out like in Moto440mans pictures. Oh, and they are the tranny cartridge bolts. I spent all day verifying it.

Best I've got so far is that when the crankcase bolts let go... The tranny bolts follow suit. Not sure I like that answer though.

Rookiex

#8 Post by Rookiex »

This will be fixed....I don't give a dang if dales go outta shop.... They will fix our problem.If they gotta take out another loan....to fix it.I swear I hope honda buys it or polaris ya know as long as they dont money around with anything...

4punksdad

#9 Post by 4punksdad »

check out this link...........if cannondale can recall bicycle parts due to "loss of control" issues..........I would think that our motors failing might be of interest to the folks in DC too.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02228.html

I'll wait to see what the new buyers do before I get trigger happy