Rebuild Myself?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
banzairx7

Rebuild Myself?

#1 Post by banzairx7 »

I just ordered a Falicon crank for my bike from doug. I'm thinking of rebuilding the motor myself, but want some 2nd opinions. I started looking through the engine manual and was getting a little overwhelmed. Is this a DIY job? I would rate myself as very mechanical. I just don't want to spend over $1k on this and have it blow up becasue I did something wrong.

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

go for it, there is plenty of help around here.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

The manual dose get you a little stressed, but it is well writen for the most part. I found it akward, mainly because it dose everything in sections (need tabs, postits work great) and it tells everything about that particular part of the repair, so you seem to jump around in the book a lot.

If you are mechanical it is easy after you get it in you head it is just differant, even easier in most areas. After my first Banshee rebuild I couldn't figure why nobody else made their cases like that, then after the Dale I am sold on thier system.

Best thing to do is search for things that should get done during rebuild on this site, Like flushing the frame, debeuring and you already have the crank. I think Wisetech had a petty thurogh list here somewere. Then take your time as you would on any engine on your first time Last, if you have a problem or something just don't look right, come back here and explain in detail the problem and pictures help alot. I say to explain in detail and pics just to speed things up when you try to get help here. everbody allways gets on here in a hurry and leeves important details off (me included) and it just takes a little longer for the people here to help you sort it out

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Look, unless you are close to any of the rebuilder you will have to drop the motor in order to send it out. See how you do with that. If you are ok with it then take the side cover and valve cover off. If you like what you see then tear into it.

WJR

#5 Post by WJR »

These things are not really that tough to work on. The engine service manual and engine parts manual have great instructions and awesome blow-up diagrams. Just don't mickey mouse anything and take your time. I bet you will be surprised how simple it is. There are plenty or tips on this site and Cannondaler.com regarding rebuilding and logistics. Plus the people around here are top notch.

WJR

CANNIBALKID

pics

#6 Post by CANNIBALKID »

take pictures upon pictures and you should be in the clear, also try to keep your parts organised. it will be much easier sticking it back together that way

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

As to not take away from engine rebuilders....

Yes, this motor, along with all other quad motors are pretty easy to work on. Now, easy for some people. If you have never worked on a motor then you may want to keep reading and make a guess as to what you want to do. There is a reason people do this for a living. Time is another big factor along with the end product.

Now, one reason we have such a good community here is alot of the people here do work on their own quads. This is a big reason we are where we are at now instead of having dead quads.

I would suggest you drop the motor and crack it open. Then make your call. The prices of rebuilds are very reasonable.

Cdale_racer_669

#8 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

I would rate myself as very mechanical.

then go for it. im 15 and the hardest part of any of it is dropping the motor. all the internals of the engine are cake to work with. if u have the manual u cant really mess it up. take yur time.

kevin00

#9 Post by kevin00 »

Wow this make me a lot more confident about tearing into mine before next year. sure would save me some $ to spend on some other stuff.