not as good as i thought (drag racing)

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

....just want to summarize again (edited) all these pointers for my own use:
2nd gear or 3rd?, higher rpm held steady, initial clutch feather contact, weight forward, weight back, constant throttle, sprocket combo, rut-running, slim-fast.... thanks ******, Derno, c41x, Jester, Wanablaze, C27 and those who follow -- yeah even Bombsquad's 1st gear plate-saver method wink.gif

For a real education and better machine comparison, swap bikes and do it again... If you're a lousy holeshotter like me, they won't blame the Cannondale! biggrin.gif:head:

440speedrider

#12 Post by 440speedrider »

im runnin 20's with a 14tooth front and a stock rear, is this gearing right?

wanablaze

#13 Post by wanablaze »

You should have some pretty good traction with those tall tires. I usually start in third gear and slip the clutch. This means one less shift than a second gear start. I have not had any problems with modded yfz's yet. It's not for everyone, though. Line up next to a buddy or another modded quad and try different things to see what works. Just keep lining up and comparing results. Launch is really important. Rather than tagging the limiter, you may be better off shifting early and letting the torque pull you throught the next gear.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Wanablaze beat me too it.3rd gear start is the way to go.It forces you to learn to feather the clutch also.I usually hold the throttle at about 1/2 eeease out the clutch and when load is felt wide open throttle and clutch all the way out.This all happens within about 3ft.After that it is just a matter of holding throttle tight and banging the gears.No need to let off on the throttle.Another thing I get a kick out of is when people rev their motor up and down.It is way better to hold it at whatever rpm you are going to be taking off in.If you are dragging on hardpack or concrete a burnout before the start helps also.Another is if the shallow ruts from the previous run are visible especially if they were the winners go right in the ruts the entire distance for better traction.

440speedrider

#15 Post by 440speedrider »

hey thanks for all the input guys it helped alot!! i tryed the 2nd and 3rd gear hole shots and WOW does it make a difference, i also done a few little things that really helped, now i just have to master them and those 450s wont want any of this c-dale!!

bombsquad54

#16 Post by bombsquad54 »

i have stock moto gearing and i have to say WTF? on the 3rd gear starts, i started in second one time on my moto and ask happyboy, my clutches are already curling. i start in 1st and speed shift to 4th, never letting off the gas, you want to pull the front wheels about 5 inches off the ground to really put the ponies in the dirt. just dont loop out. if it starts to pull up too far, slip the clutch slightly. this works good for the moto. if you sit up too far the tires will just spin, too far back and she wont go anywhere but on top of you, starting take alot of practice, you have to find your epicenter on the quad. then race those girls on there 450rs

wanablaze

#17 Post by wanablaze »

Alright Bomb, now just try that in 3rd gear and without the 1-4 shift. tongue.gif

If you can't figure it out, I'll show ya at Jay's ride in Virginia...smile.gif

440speedrider

#18 Post by 440speedrider »

hey the 3rd gear really worked for me, i love not shifting and all that power, i raced a stock yfz and blew his doors not sure by how much but he didnt want any lol

bombsquad54

#19 Post by bombsquad54 »

you guys enjoy clutch changes. :eek: 3rd gear is insane! i shift really fast, so it doesnt matter. where does jay live, im in arkansas, i cant drive too far

theJeStEr1340

#20 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by bombsquad54
you guys enjoy clutch changes. :eek: 3rd gear is insane! i shift really fast, so it doesnt matter. where does jay live, im in arkansas, i cant drive too far

Clutches aren't hard to change. The dale techs did a good job about thtat.