original main bearings

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdsracer

original main bearings

#1 Post by cdsracer »

I am going through an '02 with cable clutch (about 200 hours). I am really tempted to reuse the original main bearings. They look and feel like they're in great shape. I just don't want to go through all this work and find out that they suck. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on these bearings...are they any good? Should I spend the extra $$ and put new ones in? I don't want to have to go through this thing again any time soon, but I don't really want to spend any more money on it.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Have fun changing out that stator side inner race. smile.gif That thing is a royal pain.

Oh, and yes, change them out. Better safe than sorry.

comander420

#3 Post by comander420 »

what's the best way to get them out? Is it easier if you heat it up in the oven

Big Winky

#4 Post by Big Winky »

We set the oven for 425 degrees, set case in oven open side down, after about 20-30 mins. you'll hear a tink as the bearings drop out, this way of removing the bearings will keep your cases from getting damaged. Don't this in your wife's oven it makes for alot of smoke.

comander420

#5 Post by comander420 »

Thanks for the info winky, I thought I had read that somewhere before but couldn't remember. I'll file it away as fact for next time. Do you still sell the better crank bearings or where can I get a set, does someone like NTN bearing make some or do you have to use torrington again?

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

You could probably heat the case to drop the bearigna sand put the new ones in the freezer at the same time. Then when the bearing pops out, drop the new (cold) one in.

Big Winky

#7 Post by Big Winky »

We've been using a steel caged roller on the flywheel side and a heavy duty ball bearing on the cart plate side.