Cracked Case, any opinions??

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

Say Doug,
Do you know if the cylinder head seal you pulled off was the original 5001231 double-lip type? or the thinner O-ring style 2161 seal ? that newer (cheaper) seal has a lot of excess room to move sideways in the channel, and certainly doesn't seem like it would "cushh" the same under pressure -- just wonderin'

haydug

#12 Post by haydug »

Actually, this case was sent to me, just as you see it. We pulled it out of the box, and first noticed some JB weld by the front sprocket, so after further inspection, this is what I found. The head o-ring could probably be fixed, tig it and re-machine inside and out. Then we have the crack issue. Again, I could probably fix this (although I would call it temporary) by welding and drilling and tapping, but HOW much time is to much to spend on a broken case?

cdaleracer52

#13 Post by cdaleracer52 »

i had no idea those cases were so rare. I think i might have to make a trip to my friend jims house and take his engine. im guessing you cant get a cast case from atk?

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

I heard ATK has alot of cast case quads but not with hydro clutches.

cheetah5431

#15 Post by cheetah5431 »

Hey Doug while were looking at cracked cases what do you think about a crack on this one? It's hard to see, but it goes right under that bolt and all the way around to the other corner. How well do you think that can be repaired?

I can't get the larger image to upload I'll try again later, but you can see a little of the crack there and it goes all the way around to the arrow.

haydug

#16 Post by haydug »

Well, I would start looking for a case, I know there is a picture of Jfarrar's motor on daler that is blown apart. His crack appeared to me to have started about the same place your's is now.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

This wasnt mentioned in Jfarrars post but he had trouble with some liners.He cracked the lip off two of them before it was found the o-ring groove was too shallow or o-ring was too big.I cant remember which.Anyway I believe these liners were installed or attempted to install in the same case which cracked so bad.