the tranny ate my filter now what?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
speedy911

the tranny ate my filter now what?

#1 Post by speedy911 »

do i just put another one in or what?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Yummy......give me another filter to eat....LOL :eek:

You need to fish the filter out of the drain hole with a pick like tool or you will have problems later. It will get into the transmission gears and cause a big problem. Try tipping the quad to that side and see if you can get it close to the hole to be able to snatch it with something.

Good Luck

Coleridge

#3 Post by Coleridge »

I had the same thing happen right before the ride at Jaybr's last year. About everyone there poked, twisted & looked for it. Finally we decided that it was chewed up. I put a new filter in and rode the day. Next time I changed the oil; I just so happen to see the old filter lodged in the back. Where it was & came from I have NO idea. Anyway, a straight screwdriver, needle-nose pliers & 5 minutes later it was out.

When everyone was looking for it at the group ride, they kept saying to stand it straight up. Start there, maybe it will work for you.

Good luck.

speedy911

#4 Post by speedy911 »

ive tried both ideas so far and dont even see a sign of the filter

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

stick your finger in the hole and see if you can feel it. alot of times it's lodged on the right side of the hole. don't stand it up on the grab bar. if it's in the cavity it'll get wedged up above the drain hole and might get jammed. if you can't feel it use a piece of wire to see if it's stuck in the cavity somewhere. if there's no sign of it better drop the motor and find it. or if you're feeling lucky... just put a new one in. but a chewed up filter can ruin the scavenger pump gears pretty easily.

mine disappeared 3 times and each time i got it back out without damaging it, took a while though.

bknight

#6 Post by bknight »

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Get that filter out of there and do whatever is required to do it. The big problem is when the engine is grinding the up the filter there is no filtering going on on the tranny pump and will most likely trash that to. If you fish it out and its still intact you should be ok as long as you find all the pieces.

speedy911

#8 Post by speedy911 »

well i put another filter in there, went for a quick ride, drained the fluid and found the other filter. it was chewed up but hopefully the new filter will take care of that. im not taking the engine out now.