Velocity stack cut down....

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadprorider

Velocity stack cut down....

#1 Post by quadprorider »

Has anyone tried to cut the velocity stack that is located in the air box. I was thinking of cutting mine down to about 2 inches and wanted to hear what you guys had to say......Maybe a secret to a few more ponies:drink: ????? Thanks

speed2424

#2 Post by speed2424 »

That is why people are using the one that was made for the motorcycle.

quadprorider

#3 Post by quadprorider »

The only difference from cutting mine and the dirtbike one is that it has that little curve in the top of it. Just trying to gain some ponies while saving some money......tongue.gif

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

You need that little curve at the top. There is a post somewhere around here that discusses it. I think someone said that you could loose hp if you just cut the top off versus keeping the nice shape.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

That curve reduces turbulence as the air is drawn in from the sides of the air horn. Do not cut it off. Get the shorter one or leave it alone. You will loose airflow. If you want to go el cheapo you could try taking some out of the middle and reattaching the horn at the top but that might be risky as it might come loose while running.

bowhunter74

#6 Post by bowhunter74 »

But how much do you gain from the shorter one?

quadprorider

#7 Post by quadprorider »

Ok, I guess I will just be buying one from Black Widow, the dirt bike one.......thanks for the posts. Wistech, the number you gave me....can I call you now to ask a few questions? Thanks

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Sure give me a call ,Ill be up for about half hour .You want to free up the airflow? Cut inside of the throttle body boot to match the actual size of the intake manifold. It acts as a restictor plate and is way smaller than the throttle body and intake.

LapTraffic

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

REALLY?!

Wow, can you show a better picture than that? The one between the air box and throttle body is a pretty smooth transition

rope83

#10 Post by rope83 »

what about the insert that is pressed in the throttle body? if you were to cut the rubber clamp to fit the size of the throttle body without the insert and potlish the lip of were the insert existed ....correct me if i am wrong but this would speed up the air just before the injectors ... could this mix the fuel as well as give you more air? I was working on something like this but it included removing the air box

also does any one have a good way of the putting air box temp senser in a good spot when the air box is removed? also, what is the other tube for ...

thanks