fx400

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
chigger81

fx400

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Heres my delima. I spent too much on an fx400 on ebay. Turns out it needs a crank. Here are some pics so you can judge what model and get some info about it. I know that the bike was produced somewhere around April of 2001. http://bikepics.com/members/chigger81/01cannibal/
I took it to the cdale dealer and he wants to put what he calls a stage 1 kit on it for 1800 bucks. This would suposedly update everything but my comp to the new atk parts. I am really lost in this whole bike. I dont have alot of money to put into it, so I guess I have 2 questions.

A. What do I need to put in it to make it at least run the way a stock fx400 would.
B. What do I need to put in it to make it a halfway reliable quad for me to ride and what kinda $$ are we talking.

I am mechanically inclinded although I have never torn a motor apart. I think that with a little instruction, I might be able to fix the machine if I had the right parts, but then again I dont really know how involved the project is. rolleyes.gif

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

I believe that would be the ATK package. No doubt it's good but if you want a cheaper fix then consider getting Timbo to do some work on the crank for you. I'll leave the rest to the more experienced pros.

comander420

#3 Post by comander420 »

the fx were kind of different in a lot of parts then the current motors, if you were going to spend $1,800 then try to pick up a different engine and get it updated. Your best bet would be to email timbomoose like psychosis said and see what he recomends, also you are probably best to just ship him the whole motor and let him do his magic and send it back to you. This would also probably be the cheapest route.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

If you want to dig into it yourself I am sorta close. And I will be in Bentonville this next weekend. If you can get the motor out by then we can do a quick teardown at Ben's or something.