Gearing

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
LapTraffic

Gearing

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

I want to go to a larger counter sprocket. I understand that you get less chain torque with a 14t and in doing so freer suspension. I dont know if I need to do this or not, I am just bored and want to change something and this seems relatively cheap with some possible benefits... smile.gif

Ok, so I was looking at the table and it says that counter sprockets on all models are 13t, and the drive is 42 tooth except the moto which has 38t gearing.

Is just changing the counter too agressive a change? or will it be tolerable. I do all kinds of riding from recreational to racing.

I have a full HMF and the moto/speed map.

Where can I get sprockets and what brand should I be looking at?

Thanks smile.gif

DMAC10

Sprockets

#2 Post by DMAC10 »

If you go up to a 14t sprocket, you'll lose some bottom end but gain on the top. I also heard that if you run a 14t on the front it helps minimize the wear on your swingarm guard, by changing the radius. If you want to keep th same gearing as stock you can go 14t front and 38t rear, this is close to stock gearing. So if you don't have a lot of very steep hills then changing to a 14t front will give you more speed for the trails. But gearing is a personal preference. You can get sprockets most anywhere QuadShop, Atv Addiction are two good sources.

dawzie

#3 Post by dawzie »

We've been MX and ice racing with 14/39 gearing and starting in 2nd gear. I still get what I feel is short chain guide wear life. only about ten races and ten practices. I see design works ?? has a chain guide that looks great. I think I read where they guareentee it for one year biggrin.gif

fyrmedic

#4 Post by fyrmedic »

hey Lap, is the sprocket worn out, or are you just telling the boss that for permission?? lol:D

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

No, not worn out yet, I told her that this is an extremely cheap upgrade that will prolong the swingarm guides life and allow the swing arm to work more freely, maybe even preventing me from having to buy a new rear shock...

There's so many angles we can play here smile.gif

Hey, I got the front ordered, all the 'Cannondale" sprockets were 42t for the rear. What other type works? Honda? Also, aluminum or Stainless?

TricityCdale

#6 Post by TricityCdale »

Hey Lap,

How's it going?

If you go up to a 14T on the front, you will be fine with the 42T (stock) in the rear. I created a chart with all of the different sprocket choices vs. tire size that shows the different gear ratios and top speed (both theoretical and probable). I can email it to you if you like. It's pretty interesting.

The simple thing to do is simply divide the number of teeth on the rear sprocket by the number on the front sprocket. The lower the number you get, the more top speed; the higher the number, the more torque.

TricityCdale

#7 Post by TricityCdale »

BTW, the rear sprocket is the same as the Hondas. That gives you choices all the way down to like 33T or so.

As far as aluminum vs. steel vs. SS, the aluminum ones are very light but wear pretty fast, especially in muddy conditions. The steel ones are cheap and last a long time but are significantly heavier, the SS ones will last forever but are quite a bit more $$$.

Also, since I moved, my email isn't working so I may not be able to send it to you. I may try to paste it here but I don't know if it will work.

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

joe_rarey@yahoo.com

I am going to try it with this setup 14/42 and see if it stretches it out too much. I'll probably pick up a 40rear to play with.

Thanks for the info. When are they updating the web page on EWDRA?, Id like to see the race results smile.gif

TricityCdale

#9 Post by TricityCdale »

Ooops, one more thing to consider. I had to get a longer chain for the 14/42 set up. The stock one was too short.

The moto comes with a 14/40 but with 18" tires. With the HMF and Motospeed, you wouldn't have a problem pulling the gear, but it might be a little too tall geared for mountain type riding.

I know that for the next Harescrambles, I am running a 14/36.........so watch out!!!!biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

LapTraffic

#10 Post by LapTraffic »

14/36?!

Good grief! You'll be doin first gear starts smile.gif

What would the top speed be on a gearing like that?

My top end was ok, more snap from 35 up would have been fine, it was the suspension that killed me though.

That was a great race.

I got some viseo of you getting hosed at the 2nd lap check stop. 2 bikes passed you while they looked for your flag!