Coolant question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bowhunter74

Coolant question

#1 Post by bowhunter74 »

How can I find out if I have any coolant problems without droping the motor and pulling the covers? I'm new to Dales and have been trying to read as much as I can, but need some input on this. I pulled the coolant return just to see if anything was floating around since it was easy to get to, but i would like to get some other answers form you guys. I don't know much about the motor other then it was sent to SBM. I looked at the valve cover and it looks light grey in color. Any help would be great. :bow: :bow:

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Best way is to take the waterpump off and look.However a good indicator is a darker color in the bottom of the coolant bottle.If you have a aluminum cover such as a FX 400 had then you are good.These have no paint on them at all.Just bare aluminum.They also have a hole for a cam position sensor.Maybe someone can take a pic of one for you.

bowhunter74

#3 Post by bowhunter74 »

I have an 03 LE.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

With the fender off, look for a return dribble into the top of coolant bottle when revved -- this would indicate if airbleed hole in top of impeller cover is plugged up. If it is plugged, it still may not be a problem until you refill, and then air would get trapped up there. You can pull the cover without dropping motor -- it just may add a few items to your toolbox!

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

it's more than likely corroded. just pull the cover off and see how bad it is. mine is also an 03 LE and it had some bad pitting on it. wasn't pitted through but it was heading that direction. they say you can remove the cam cover without dropping the motor but it's tight and requires patience.

bowhunter74

#6 Post by bowhunter74 »

I nwent to OReilly's and found some Prestone coolant contains ethyele glycol, they said it didn't contain any water. Is this safe to use? Its about $10 compared to $25 for evans.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

I doubt thats waterless coolant as it is meant to be mixed with water. If it shows mixing charts on the back then its regular stuff.
As long as your not leaking coolant yet or getting any in the oil waterless coolant will stop the corrosion from continuing.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

There are alot of new straight coolants coming out now that you dont need to add water.Might be worth looking into.Evans is proven though.

bowhunter74

#9 Post by bowhunter74 »

I emailed Prestone, so I'll let you guys know what they say. It does show mixing charts on the back, but it doesn't list any water on the label.
:confused:

cdalemx301

#10 Post by cdalemx301 »

Hey guys so what tools do i need to add to my tool box to yank the valve cover with the motor in? Im pretty sure im leaking coolant im sure its corroded a bit any input would be great