Help!!! fuel pump went out!!!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jimmer

Help!!! fuel pump went out!!!!

#1 Post by Jimmer »

Guys my brother and I just got back from Sand Mountain and on the second to last day of our trip his fuel pump went out. Does anyone know the cost of a new one? And also how many psi it puts out? I was trying to find one that would work from my local parts place but need to know how much psi it has to be. Or if anyone has anymore suggestions let me know thanks.

4punksdad

#2 Post by 4punksdad »

I cut and pasted this from another thread for ya....................

Ok I spoke to Mark at Cannondale, I must say he was extremely helpful on this problem. He asked if I could get a fuel pressure reading after the fuel pump. He stated that the pressure should be between 40-42 psi.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Post looks familiar hmmmm. Yeah I quadsource also stated that 42 psi is the number you are looking for.

rowlrag

#4 Post by rowlrag »

I work on cars everyday at our auto shop and the fuel pump looks just like one off an early efi Ford Ranger withthe pump mounted on the frame rail, 1987 I believe, there fuel pressure is around 30-40 regulated psi. The fuel pressure regulator is what controls the pressure. NAPA part# NFP-P74028. heres a pic of a Walbro pump. Most parts stores can cross the part # on your pump. they are around $100 bucks.

TricityCdale

#5 Post by TricityCdale »

Veddy eenteresting!smile.gif

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Great tip!

Jimmer

#7 Post by Jimmer »

Thanks for the help guys. Except I just figured out that is not the problem I dont think? We disconected it and tested it off the bike with jumper wires and it pumped like heck. Reason we thought it was the fuel pump is you dont here it priming it self like before. The motor turns over but wont start and I dont see any fuel flowing through the new fuel filter. It seems I saw some were that you guys said something about the quick connect o rings swelling? Everything looks fine as far as the o rings go though. Any help would be great guys. Its weird it was running fine stopped at camp went to go fire it up again and it wouldnt start?? I'm going to check spark and such tonight and I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks.

jschner

#8 Post by jschner »

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is directly hooked up to the ECU. If it doesn't whinewhen you go to start the bike the ECU is not dropping the ground for the fuel pump. Check your wires and if they are OK you might need to reload your HEX code in your ECU.

Also, I upped the dealers Electrical/EFI troubleshooting manual on my site. It might help you find the problem.

rowlrag

#9 Post by rowlrag »

The fuel pump on my Blaze is a Walbro. shouldn't be hard to find at a parts store if needed.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Check to see if there is power at + of pump.Be real careful that you dont get your test light in between - post on pump and the pump itself that will fry your computer.If there is then you gotta really go through all the grounds bad ground is a very common problem.