diamond racing 450 goes down

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bestonearth

diamond racing 450 goes down

#1 Post by bestonearth »

I have a diamond racing 450 motor with all the goodies that probably has about 30 gallons of gas through it and to day at the local track I was able to make three laps before it stopped. The motor popped a few times when heading into a turn and was making a terrible noise in the lower part of the engine and cut off. It would start back up and was making a horrific sound and was also making a whining noise. I took it home and it wouldn't even start so I pulled the motor. I don't want to go into the motor too much, however I pulled the sidecover and saw nothing out of place, however, when I pulled the valve cover, I noticed one of the cam bearings had come apart. When I manually crank it over there's is a grinding noise in the lower end. I've had some problems in the past with diamond. I am trying to race the local distric 13 races and it took all summer for diamond to finally get my motor back so I'm looking at getting it done in more of a timely manner. I'm thinking of taking it to Haydug and see what he can do with it. Let me know what you all think.

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

I'd say it doesn't sound good! Haydug is probably a good choice. I'd be interested to know what mods winky did to your motor.

ducman

#3 Post by ducman »

Sounds like you have made the right choice. I have seen Doug rebuild a motor while the owner was standing there, talk about a quick turn around.

cannibal67

#4 Post by cannibal67 »

Is the decompression mechanism still on the cam? If not that could be down in there somewhere.

bestonearth

#5 Post by bestonearth »

yes, the decompression mechanism was still on the cam and the list of mods, that jim wrote on the sheet include:

crank rebuild
ball bearing mains
reangled injectors
latest oil modification
450 piston and sleeve
cart bolts safety wired
mapped ecu - moto/speed
port and polish head
lap valves

The total was $2400 :mad:

dalewannbe

#6 Post by dalewannbe »

Sorry to hear that. keep us posted on what you find out. Did your oil filter have shavings in it?

bestonearth

#7 Post by bestonearth »

no, the oil looked fine.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

where are you located?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds like just a cam bearing failure.Not real common but it has happened before.Hopefully didnt cause anymore damage anywhere but no metal in filter is a good sign.Hopefully just a topend job.

bestonearth

#10 Post by bestonearth »

I live in chesapeake, virginia.