Overheated

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
krash

Overheated

#1 Post by krash »

My Dale overheated while I was racing, now I need to know exactly what I need to do to keep this from happening again? Also what damage might have been caused do to the overheating that I need to check?

I'm going to get my valve cover powder-coated, getting an aluminum impellar, and I'm already useing Evan NGP+.

Is there something I may be missing??

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

Did you make sure you had all the air was out of the raditor system after hading the new coolant? Seems strange it overheated if it wasn't low on coolant?

Was you bleeder hole plugged on your cover, you can drill that hole a little bigger while its off.

Smitty911

Maybe this

#3 Post by Smitty911 »

Going fast enough to ensure air flow? lol

Radiator itself in good shape, hoses, no air pockets in system.

Smitty

cdrookie

#4 Post by cdrookie »

get a new overflow bottle and cap!!!!!!!!!!!! your heading in the right direction with the aluminum impeller and evans. dalewannbe hit it on the head also by checking the bleeder hole.

speedy911

#5 Post by speedy911 »

mine overheated in a race also, due to a seized cooling fan. make sure you can spin the fan blade. and also you will need a new bottle and cap now

krash

#6 Post by krash »

My fan is working, yes I was going fast enough for proper air flow:D , and I let the bike idle for about ten minutes to get nice and warm, and the fluid level was perfect. Where is the bleeder hole? I'll be sure to check that! Cdrookie.... why would I need a new bottle and cap? They seem to be in good shape!

Thanks for the info, will I need to flush the coolant system to make sure there is no more magnesium left in there?

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

The new bottle and cap is due to the heat causing warping of the bottle. Also sometimes the cap just doesn't hold the pressure like it is supposed to. I switched caps once after mine went and have been fine since!