valve question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadracer500

#1 Post by quadracer500 »

i was just wondering what is the general rule everyone uses on valve replacement?
time, or maybe what to look for as far as wear?
thanks

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

One year old or if I have no history then they get tossed . Unless they are fx400's(1st generation kibblewhitesd) then it a wear call.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

One year old! How many valves do you buy in a year?

blink.gif

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Well I had around 80 from that dealer buyout and now there almost all gone.

Psychosis

#5 Post by Psychosis »

****, I used one set of valves from October 2003 up until August of 2006 w/out a problem. They're getting replaced by Tim right now, but no problems for me, even through several race seasons. I don't recommend going that long though.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Feb 22 2007, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
****, I used one set of valves from October 2003 up until August of 2006 w/out a problem. They're getting replaced by Tim right now, but no problems for me, even through several race seasons. I don't recommend going that long though.

I dont pull the engine just to replace them at one year. If they are older than a year and the head is off for porting or whatever new set goes in. That may be several years . He was looking for replacement criteria.

383astro

#7 Post by 383astro »

How much do valves, springs, cams and such cost? Does anyone make larger cams? Is there any different cams that make more power? Thanks

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Guys lets not go cheap on motors.Valves are less than $15 a piece I believe.Not even worth cleaning carbon off to check them.Dont listen to me or Wistech.Read manuals,Mags and anything else after a year of racing valves,springs,retainers and have even heard spring seats should ALL be replaced along with timing chain and piston.Now of course this isnt for everbody but that is the safe way and what is industry wide considered the"RIGHT" way.