New Motor Problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
KRMit

New Motor Problems

#1 Post by KRMit »

I don't know much about Cannondales. I got what I thought was a good deal on one and jumped on it, having heard such great things about em. I bought one with a blown motor and a freshly rebuilt motor in the crate. After MUCH work me and a few friends got the motors swapped out. I charged the battery up and it won't turn over. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and the starter clicks, but won't turn over. So I hooked up some jumper cables to my truck and the motor turned over once, then clicked to a stop. It did that a few times, then it just went back to clicking. I pulled the spark plug out and it's still doing the same thing. I pulled the clutch cover off and get see anything wrong but I'm kind of inexperienced with this sort of thing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Where in Mississippi are you?

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

You can take the stator side cover off and turn it over by hand....so if it feels like it is jamming up. Did you do any kind of inspection to the motor before you installed it?

acarli3

#4 Post by acarli3 »

If you hearing a clicking sound, you may need a new battery.

KRMit

#5 Post by KRMit »

I forgot to mention that it will roll in gear with the clutch pulled in. I guess I'm going to have to pull the motor and pop off the side cover. :cry:

quadman22

#6 Post by quadman22 »

i had this problem for a while until i realized what most people who have this problem arent doing... there is a very specific way to start these bikes. i wasn't doing it and it would not start until i did...

1. turn key on
2. turn switch to "run"
3. after u hear the fuel pump stop runnning press the start button for 5 seconds WITHOUT pulling the clutch in.
4. wait 5 seconds
5. Pull the clutch in then press the start button for a couple seconds each time.

Apparently it will not start when its cold if u dont do this. Everyone kind of over looks this little detail from what i ahve seen

KRMit

#7 Post by KRMit »

Originally posted by quadman22
i had this problem for a while until i realized what most people who have this problem arent doing... there is a very specific way to start these bikes. i wasn't doing it and it would not start until i did...

1. turn key on
2. turn switch to "run"
3. after u hear the fuel pump stop runnning press the start button for 5 seconds WITHOUT pulling the clutch in.
4. wait 5 seconds
5. Pull the clutch in then press the start button for a couple seconds each time.

Apparently it will not start when its cold if u dont do this. Everyone kind of over looks this little detail from what i ahve seen

The motor isn't even turning over with or without the clutch pulled in.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

I had him take the stator cover off and try to turn it over.....not good results.

KRMit

#9 Post by KRMit »

I talked to Winky (motor rebuilder) and he said he would take a look at it for free if I paid shipping. The motor was rebuilt in December 2003 so he couldn't remember what all was done to it. He said they're doing an oil update for the rod bearing now that wasn't done then and that it was a vital update. He didn't have a very high opinion of Cannondale reliability and he suggested fixing it and selling it. I'm considering that. I'd hate to get this motor going only for it to grenade. After getting a loan for the bike and getting insurance I can't even afford to ship it anywhere right now so I'm going to bring it to a mechanic friend of mine and let him tear into the motor. He has a Cannon so he's interested in tearing into it anyway. I'm so freakin depressed right now. I appreciate the help Happyboy.

:mad:

jacobw

#10 Post by jacobw »

one word of advice winky is full of sh**. Cannondale motors can be very reliable and the oil update is bs it does not need to be done cannondale never had and oiling problem. If you want to spend your money then send it to Atk or Haydug, Haydug can build you a very reliable engine. Atk had been doing very good reliabity enhancements also. My brother just bought Jeff Stoesses atk racer and atk tore the motor down and inspected everything after a full gncc race season and they said everything was within tolerance and didnt need rebuilt but they rebuilt it anyway so. My advice is send it to Haydug he can build you a motor that will last 300hrs no prob with the falicon and je piston. or if you want a atk motor it will last at 300hrs too and you can send it to them.