spits sputters, dies and an occasional backfire!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
moto440

#21 Post by moto440 »

i am out by dekalb il, zip is 60115

what code? to access the ecu?

dalewannbe

#22 Post by dalewannbe »

Your not that far at all, about and hour or hour and half. I'm in Morrison. You need the authorization code to allow access to your ecu. Optium requires this as a way for them to make $.

Did you make sure your battery connections were nice and clean and tight?

fig

#23 Post by fig »

The idle on these things is real high. Somewhere around 2200 rpm's. Make sure your idle is set up high. I know it's hard to set a idle without a D&M. Just turn it up a little and see if that helps.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

Dalewannabe as a option you could get the specs for his ECU off the spread sheet and put them in one of your ECU's install it in his quad and see if that is the source of his problems.If it is then he knows what he needs and can either buy a D&M code or D&M.Another option for him is once you figure out the right settings including throttle cal using your ECU he could then just send me his ECU and I can put them in for him.Free just shipping.Sounds complicated but really isnt!Now if we could just not have to mess around like this things would be alot easier.That time is coming.

moto440

#25 Post by moto440 »

the battery connections were good but the charge on the battery was kinda low enough to crank the motor but i think it is in need of replacement, when it first started it ran fine and it did idle kinda high, but the gas smelled old and so i thought bad gas would make it run crappier since it has such high compression. i am going to pull the plug tonight i hope and see what it looks like and clean it up since i dont have a spare now, then get some gas for it and try again. the battery has been on the trickle charger for a few days now and even if weak should be ok to start and run the quad. guess i will find out

moto440

#26 Post by moto440 »

i know where morrison is too i used to race my 400ex out that way i think in morris out by you, i ran the moose off road series, your not too far, if we can figure the ecu code situation out maybe a case of beer or something would convince you to come over!!! i have to get the quad out of storage too its been in storage for many months since i got it nearly a year i think just never had time to play with it until now, pathetic isnt it!!!

dalewannbe

#27 Post by dalewannbe »

I'll be running some of the moose races this year. The first one is March 6. I'll be there for that.

You need to make the journey this way.....I have a couple little ones so its tough to get away.

moto440

#28 Post by moto440 »

i know what ya mean i have a 1 and a half old daughter!! i will for sure meet up with you sometime about it though just got to get it in one piece and bring it home!!!

dalewannbe

#29 Post by dalewannbe »

When you go it started did it ever rev out? Or would it spit and spurter and die when you try to give it throttle?

moto440

#30 Post by moto440 »

when i tried to start it most the time it would pop off once or twice and die but when it would run it never revved out, but one time the idle was super high, and another it would run if i gas it right when it first fired up then it would spit ans sputter and eventually die no matter what i did, more evidence of a fouled plug to me, but i didnt have time to pull the plug last night since i had to be here at work a 6 am!!