Stick of cannondale after 2 days. HELP!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
exracer12

Stick of cannondale after 2 days. HELP!

#1 Post by exracer12 »

well her eis how it started off. On sat i got the bike and it ran ike a million dollars. started up fine and everythig. well sunday i decided to go out for a while and ride. started right up and went but it stalled out 1 time and stopped dead but started right back up. so later on i took it to the car wash and washed it and then took it home to put some stickers on. ran awsome still. but when i got it home i shut it off and went to check everything out on the bike to see if it was tight. so i started checking and my back sprocket was loose so i tightened it ansd then everything else was tight except for on the front of the bike i think it is the fuel pump? its a round cannister looking thing w/ wires. well there was a real small nut that was loose and i got a wrench and went to tighten it and i guess i touched + and - and it sparked. well i thought nothing of it and just finished tightening it w/ my hand. so about 20 min later i was done w/ the bike and went to start it and it just cranked and cranked till my battery wouldnt go anymore. so i threw a charger on it and still nothing. so i remembered that the guy i got it off of told me that the small black round nob by the pump thing to turn it a little and it should fire right up. welli did that and it sounded a little better buy didnt fire. so i kept turning it and finally the bike barley fired. i then tok the charger off and the bike ran awsome. i shut it off and it fired right back up. well today is tuesday and i wanted to take my girl for a ride, so i got the bike out and tried starting it and it cranked a couple of times then just started clicking? so i figured the battery is dead from cold. well i tried the charger and still wouldnt fire. checked the spark plug and it was fowled/wet. so i cleaned it up and put it in and still nothing. after a while of turning that nob and cranking it w/ the charger on it and it fired sometimes then shut right off. well i turned the nob to tighten it (clockwise and it fired a little easier but not like it should. finally after about another 20 min of trying it finally fired. and i ran it for a little then took it home.

What is the problem? I really like this bike but if it is going to give me problems everytime i want to ride it then im just gonna go back w/ honda.

exracer12

#2 Post by exracer12 »

forgot to mention that it was backfiring when trying to start. when i drive it and leave off throttle it pops sometimes....

here is what is done to bike

stage 8 upgrade
upgraded motor mount
hmf full system
moto mapped

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

It sounds like that little knob that you keep turning is the idle. You don't want to throw it out of adjustment too much or it won't start. You have to make sure that battery is charged before you try to start it. The ECU runs off the battery and will shut down if there is not enough power to keep it running.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

without a DM kit you won't know if you are screwing the idle up or not (too high too low). So, once it is running don't mess with the screw. It sounds like it is too rich, back firing when trying to start usually means a fouled plug.

exracer12

#5 Post by exracer12 »

ok so how should i reajust the idel screw? like how should i do it in steps? i really dont have the money now for an d&m kit. so how do i go about doing this? even if my battery is charged it seems to die quick. is it time for a new battery?

cannondale440

#6 Post by cannondale440 »

The battery is not the problem. Sounds to me like you need to do a throttle cal which requires the D&M. Other than that recal, sounds like fuel starvation, check your fuel lines and change your fuel filter. Id say check the screen in the tank too but I highly dought it would be the culprit. May be a stupid question but since you are new to the dale, are you starting it properly? Even after the dale is warmed up I like to give it a quick prime "tap the green button" then start it up.

theJeStEr1340

Re: .

#7 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by exracer12
ok so how should i reajust the idel screw? like how should i do it in steps? i really dont have the money now for an d&m kit.  so how do i go about doing this? even if my battery is charged it seems to die quick. is it time for a new battery?

I don't meen to sound mean, but start by filling out your profile with your location. There is a good bet that there is another person with a dale near you that might be willing to get you a key on his D&M for cheap, or maybe has a dealer cal.

dunnbandit1

#8 Post by dunnbandit1 »

you said you touched 2 wires together on the fuel pump and it sparked?
maybe you blow a fuse

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Maybe now the fuel pump runs all the time also.

Mjollnir

#10 Post by Mjollnir »

Sorry, I can't even slog through you post. Use paragraphs and the Shift key, and proofread for cripes sake!

No offense meant, it's just very hard to read.

Marc