Cannondale Wont Start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Kos462

Cannondale Wont Start

#1 Post by Kos462 »

today i was riding the cannonbomb and she quit on me tried starten it and it wont start changed plugs still nothen
to make a long story short we have spark its circulating gas, all the grounds are tight no loose connections, we have compression, and we check the fuel injector with a testor and its lighting up the tester off and on witch is showing its spraying, But when we pull the plug its not wet, we even tried dumpen gas down on top the cylinder and it still wont start,

would the fuel pump not haven enought pressure be causing are problem????

Any thoughts or help would be helpful were completly stumped and we dont no what else to check THANK U

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

it you have spark then you dump gas into the cylinder and if wont start sounds like a bad plug to me I have fouled my plug while out riding and it barely made it back to the truck so it could foul and competely die. Is the fuel pump pressurizing??

Kos462

#3 Post by Kos462 »

i would check the plug for spark before i put it in when we dumped gas down and it didnt even try to start

as for the fuel pump when ya turn the key on it runs and primes the system and when your cranken it starts pumping

Any Other Ideas

steve-222

#4 Post by steve-222 »

spun flywheel? it hasn't happened to me but I hear its happened to some people

Kos462

#5 Post by Kos462 »

BUMP

come on fellas give somemore imput sombody has to have some idea

Kos462

#6 Post by Kos462 »

checked compression tonight and im getten 90 do u think it could be a bad sensor or anything along those line that could be doing it i checked to see if the fly wheel was spun but everything seems tight and the cencor is lined up with the fly wheel marks:confused:

azcannon

Re: Cannondale Wont Start

#7 Post by azcannon »

Originally posted by Kos462
today i was riding the cannonbomb and she quit on me tried starten it and it wont start changed plugs still nothen
to make a long story short we have spark its circulating gas, all the grounds are tight no loose connections, we have compression, and we check the fuel injector with a testor and its lighting up the tester off and on witch is showing its spraying, But when we pull the plug its not wet,  we even tried dumpen gas down on top the cylinder and it still wont start,  

would the fuel pump not haven enought pressure be causing are problem????

Any thoughts or help would be helpful were completly stumped and we dont no what else to check   THANK U

Well I have some questions/comments
1st is what were the conditions when it quit, running hard or cruising and how did you ride up to that point.
2nd compression test is hard if the decompression holds a exhaust valve open when cranking below 2000 rpm
3rd the flywheel check involves removing nut and washer and lining up KEYWAY with the " C " in the word cannondale cast into the outside of the flywheel but I don't necessarily think thats your problem

These things always wet the plug down when cranking over and not firing for you to have a dry plug and be cranking it brings me back to fuel.
However there are other things to look at when I go off your desription "just quit " I wouldn't just check grounds, I would replace all star washers or at least rough up the areas and reinstall them because that is first possible fault is your fuel filter new? and how are you checking flow? the return on the pump will return all unused fuel if you injector plug isnt making good contact, if only one will work ( or none ) it will return a lot of fuel. You can test them by ohming both of them - you should get the same reading on both them this is a very easy step to do. I would also remove a line at injector and plumb it to the tank and check pressure or at least flow visually at injector if they ohm properly.
I don't know how you could have a ignition problem with a dry plug , after fouling a few of them the last thing I expect is a dry plug when they won't start.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Dry plug when gas is poured into intake?Dry plug is key here.Intake valves not opening?

azcannon

I hope not

#9 Post by azcannon »

you would have a heavy buildup of fuel in the intake with valves not opening that would smell of strong fuel with the air filter removed not to mention be a little dangerous for fire while cranking if it got ignited ( maybe a uncle buck back fire )

Kos462

#10 Post by Kos462 »

alright let me try this again in more depth i was in a little hurry when i described what happened but now i have time to go indepth

First i was out driven in the snow for like 10 min i was in 4th gear driven normal and it bogged down as if it lost gas and it stoped and wouldnt start since then

the first thing i noticed is when u crank it the gas filter gets sucked completly empty and it runs into the filter but not enought to keep it full,

So far i changed plugs, coil, and fuel pump, and it still wont start the fuel filter i can blow threw, and we blew both lines out going to the tank, still wont start,

Last night took the air box throttle body off, and the injectors were spraying a mist out of both of them and we could see the intake valves opening.

now sombody brought up that the flywheel could of spun now my question is if that spun a little bit would that knock the 4 wheeler out of time that the crank sencor is telling the computer to fire at the wrong time ????????

THANKS FOR ALL THE IMPUT