Ive got the quietest Dale ever.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
LapTraffic

Clarification

#61 Post by LapTraffic »

My buddy is the service manager at our local ford dealership. I ran all this by him so he could hook me up witht he stuff I need.

wistech, can you confirm for me? Here's what the guy replied back;

The 1830856C1 looks like an International Harvester part#. Ford recently changed all its silicone part numbers and marketed them under Motorcraft instead of Ford.
I belive the silicone you are looking for is a Motorcraft #TA-31 made espically for the 7.3L diesel engine. Check with your guy to see if that part # is the same. The instructions say to use a part# ZC-31 metal surface cleaner before applying, I would reccomend that because it is not being held in by anything.
Let me know

wistech

#62 Post by wistech »

Yep that sounds like the stuff. There are other other silicones out there that would be just as good. I know that the high heat orange permatex 26BR is is pretty tenatious at sticking to parts.
Just like getting automotive paint to adhere you need clean oil free parts. I find it strange that some of you are so worried about it actually coming off the covers. You should see what it takes to get this stuff off an diesel oil pan. A razor blade and roloc bristle disc will grind it off but it fights every inch of the way.

SCOTMO58

#63 Post by SCOTMO58 »

Good thing Blaze said something about the vent hole. I got to thinking about it last night so today I dropped my motor again and sure enough, it was filled. I remember going around it but when I was doing the clutch cover I asked my friend to smooth out some of the big cover. He must have just rubbed it right in. I just went ahead and pressure washed it all off. I'll probably try it again after I hear some more good results.

SCOTMO58

#64 Post by SCOTMO58 »

I belive the silicone you are looking for is a Motorcraft #TA-31 made espically for the 7.3L diesel engine.

That is the first stuff I tried. I couldn't get it to stick. Maybe that cleaner is what I needed. The permatex stuff was hard to get off with the pressure washer!

dvrack

Tool dip (not that tool)

#65 Post by dvrack »

Hey what about using the spray on tool dip from plastidip.com they sell it everywhere comes in differen't colors so if you did the exterior of the side cover it may not look bad it is a satin finish, I may have to try it since I ain't yankin my engine during riding season in Norcal. Oh it does have safety warnings about not using as a condom, but does resist chemicals acids , oils and heat.
Dave

steve-222

#66 Post by steve-222 »

I there anyway you can post some pics of your great work?

wistech

#67 Post by wistech »

You want pics of gooey silicone smeared on the cover? Its not pretty but I will take some . What I really want is a decibel check. Ill try to get a meter and show how good it works.

theJeStEr1340

#68 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I shoudl do this... but I am too skeered to drop my motor, or that I woudl mess something up, so as long as it is running I aint touching it.

wistech

#69 Post by wistech »

Really just doing the clutch cover will take a significant amount away. That can be done with just removing the shift lever.

theJeStEr1340

#70 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by wistech
Really just doing the clutch cover will take a significant amount away.  That can be done with just removing the shift lever.

Might do the clutch cover....