Dies at ~6500 rpm

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
zoommx

Dies at ~6500 rpm

#1 Post by zoommx »

I had this problem last year and still do. I've only got about 3-4 hours run time total on the thing (basically just break-in only). I thought that when I went through my engine this winter (installed z400 bearing, reangle injectors, stage 8, + others) it might go away, well it hasn't. Here's what happens and what I've tried:
Motor shuts down at 6000 to 7000 rpm as I gradually open the throttle. To restart I must turn off and then back on to start. Motor will also shut down the same way if I goose the throttle.

I've monitored all the ecu parameters, they seem normal.
I've monitored fuel return flow, it keeps flowing till motor dies.
I've done throttle cal and checked for smooth change in tps through range.
I've tried a couple different maps.
I've replaced the battery.
I've checked cable connections.
I even verified the battery voltage reading from ecu with a dmm (14.4v).
I can't afford to keep throwing $$$ using the shotgun method.

Ideally, someone can just flat out say...xxxxx this is the problem and be right, but I realize that's a high hope!!

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Fuel filter ,tank screen ,swelled quick connect o rings, loose ground wire by left headlight bracket,battery cables,loose power relay under airfilter ,old hex code, Hows that for a start?

steve-222

#3 Post by steve-222 »

I am sure you have but,make sure that your fuel hoses are not cracked or getting kinks in the line or a clogged fuel filter.
The only reason that I say this in because my hoses were shot and getting kinked, the fuel pressure should stay the same just less flow.

Zerotact

#4 Post by Zerotact »

Hey,
Mine started acting up like that, ended up being a loose cable. I would guess if it's not throwing error codes, it's electrical related. I'd be up for hanging out and praying with you sometime.

zoommx

#5 Post by zoommx »

Originally posted by wistech
Fuel filter ,tank screen ,swelled quick connect o rings, loose ground wire by left headlight bracket,battery cables,loose power relay under airfilter ,old hex code, Hows that for a start?

Oops, I forgot to mention some more of the things I tried...filter has been replaced, tank screen is good, quick connect has been eliminated, latest hex code has been loaded. I've only got 1 headlight bracket (2 wheeler). I'll check the cables......Again!!! and the relays as well, though they seem to be good and tight. Thanks all for the input!!

Zero, when I get it running, maybe we can get a ride scheduled. Hey, I'm gonna be at the SX saturday if you're there, I can give you my seat # and meet up.

Roger

dalewannbe

#6 Post by dalewannbe »

Have you tried replacing the wiring harness?

I had a bad wiring harness and all my quad would do is idle....it would start and idle fine goto give it gas and it would fall on its face and die.

Sounds like you've tried everything else so I'm throwing it out there.

It should be good to go after you get this gremlin figured out!

Zerotact

#7 Post by Zerotact »

I can't afford to even leave my own house, getting the new atk has put me in the poor house... LOL isn't it great...

dalewannbe

#8 Post by dalewannbe »

this is a new atk doing this?

Zerotact

#9 Post by Zerotact »

Welll, it's by my choice, but the new ATK is $7295 D&M kit is $305
Used laptop $165, Steering damper $510, Suspension Work $550, Custom Decals $110, header wrap $20....
Ready for a bada$$ race season = priceless

dalewannbe

#10 Post by dalewannbe »

I meant its a new atk giving you these troubles? I would doubt its the wiring harness, but if that's the only thing you haven't tried, then maybe its worth a shot.